Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bolivian Ram sitting on Bottom?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
drskipjack
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.02.13(Wed)22:34    Post subject: Bolivian Ram sitting on Bottom? Reply with quote

I have a pair of Bolivian Rams in a 40 gallon, along with five green cories, 3 black kuhlis, 5 glass catfish, a bristlenose pleco, and eight black neon tetras. Now one of the rams, the probable female, or the passive one, has been sitting on the bottom, upright, breathing a bit slower, and not moving too often. She has been doing this for probably six days. I checked the water parameters and I had a little bit of nitrate, so I did a 25% water change. A week later I checked and I had a little bit of ammonia, so I did a 50% water change. I feed mostly flake, with frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in there once in a while. She has never acted strange before, so now I am a bit worried. I was wondering if it was constipation, so I tried feeding crushed peas, but she is not eating very much, and the other ram did not really taste the peas even. She does seem to be a bit better than when I first saw her on the bottom, scooting around some, raising her dorsal fin more, and nibbling a little bit at some passing food.
None of the other fish in the tank have been having problems lately. Except for I recently lost a black neon for no reason, it did not show any signs of sickness, and I also lost a bamboo shrimp, but I'm pretty sure it was maybe killed by the ram or the small ctenopoma, since it molted the same day. The tank is kept at about 80 degrees, and has a pretty high pH of about 7.8, but it has never bothered any of the other fish before. I have put in an airstone in the tank to try to help her out.
Can anyone give me some advice please?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.02.15(Fri)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else haven't you listed apartfrom the Ctenopoma?

Why was there an ammonia spike as this could explain the ram's symptoms.

What are the actual water readings and what test kits are you using?

What chemicals have you used?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: