Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
bubbles sticking to coarse sand substrate
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Wake
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.02.07(Thu)15:36    Post subject: bubbles sticking to coarse sand substrate Reply with quote

I'm setting up a tank and am at the substrate washing stage. Bubbles are sticking to the surface of the coarse sand. Will this go away on its own? Or is the problem the sand itself (and the only solution to replace the sand)? Or is it fine to leave it that way with no harm to the fish (they're going to be bottom dwellers)? It is Petco brand sand so I wouldn't be surprised if the particles have the wrong kind of surface that collects bubbles.

Thanks Smile
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.02.08(Fri)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, this is almost totally normal - I used a very fine-grit aquarium sand for my 55 gallon "modified community" tank, and I did have some bubble activity during filling in the areas that weren't disturbed by the flow of the water itself into the tank (I used a bucket chain to fill).

Bubbles form on just about any surface they can stick to when a tank is first filled because running water has a surprising amount of dissolved gasses on it. If the bubbles don't dissipate on their own I would be highly surprised, but they shouldn't be an immediate threat to any fish you put in there.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: