Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Impossibly fast/silent cycling of seeded tank?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.31(Mon)17:51    Post subject: Impossibly fast/silent cycling of seeded tank? Reply with quote

I'm witnessing something rather bizarre using brand-new test drops that are well within their shelf life and stored quite properly.

I've recently acquired and filled the 55 Gallon tank I've been going on, and on, and on about. I've thrown in a handful of duckweed (actually, it's Salvina of some sort, which we've just been calling duckweed at home and around the shop because we're all a little slow), seeded the sponge media in the C4 with sludge pulled from my established tank's HOB sponges, and dumped in about a half a bottle of cycle (as well as trop extracts and plant gro, in anticipation of planting). I've moved the tetras out of the 10 gallon and I'm watching them closely for signs of distress so that I can move them back, but not having found liquid, pure ammonia, I decided this would be the best source. Yell at me all you like.

The first day, I tested the tank and got straight zeros across the board on my nitro tests. The second day, I found no ammonia, no nitrites, and 5 mg/L of Nitrates. Today, I've found 0.1 mg/L of Ammonia (of which 0.00 is Un-Ionized), 0.1 mg/L of Nitrites, and the same 5 mg/L of Nitrates.

It's absolutely impossible that this tank is ACTUALLY cycled, right? I'm just watching some residual due to the low bioload and small colony transfered into the C4 Sponge?

Edit to add: I just looked in the HOB. It's got c-nodes (basically, biomax pellets) which aren't getting even a little scuzzy yet. Having said that, ten cardinals can't possibly put that much stress on the thing. The poly wool, sponge, and drip screen are all getting pretty filthy though.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.31(Mon)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seeded material that you put in the tank will make it cycle faster. I always keep extra filters running on established tanks so that when I set up a new one, I can put fish in the next day.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.01.01(Tue)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be THAT fast though, should it? I mean, the sponge media looks like sponge that's been running for a month, and the tests themselves don't lie.

I guess, if that's the case, I can move the tetras over on thursday and start stocking.

Last edited by ZacAdam on 2013.01.01(Tue)9:24; edited 1 time in total
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.01.01(Tue)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sponge came from an established tank and you didn't clean it off, yes it can.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: