Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blank Slatery: A. Heckelii Companions
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.28(Fri)9:22    Post subject: Blank Slatery: A. Heckelii Companions Reply with quote

So, I have a new 55Gal being delivered this evening, and I want to take the few weeks my fishless cycle is going to take to hammer out some details on my stocking.

I'm thinking of a pair of Heckelii Cichlids (Acarichthys Heckelii) would make for the best possible centerpiece and my research into them says that a pair would be more or less suitable in a tank of that size. However, the lady-friend would absolutely kill me for setting aside that much water for two fish (especially since the pair I'm looking at are still subadult and only a few inches long yet!), and I was wondering if there was anyone with any experience with them insofar as tank mates. For the record, the ladyfriend is still concerned that the schooling behavior of my cardinals means they're looking for a way to escape, so you'll understand if I only occasionally indulge her impulses.

Now, the boys down at the LFS where I work say that Heckelii's are comparable in behaviour to freshwater angels - they're certainly smaller than your average South American and as I understand it about as peaceful as the angels. I was thinking of something somewhat larger, perhaps in the tetra or barb class, but I'm not really sure.

I'm also contemplating a common plecostomus for the tank as a 55 Gal should, to my understanding, be plenty large.

The stock filter in the tank kit is a Fluval C4 HOB.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.28(Fri)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more like severums in bolshyness, not bad as SA cichlids go but bigger mouths than angels.
Really not a lot of options as at full size they will fill a 55g tank and a plec larger than a bristlenose won't fit.
If you have another tank ready for when the threadfins fill this tank I would suggest filament barbs for the upper level.

Of course if you get the decor right the tank will look good with just two fish.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.29(Sat)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Probably more like severums in bolshyness, not bad as SA cichlids go but bigger mouths than angels.
Really not a lot of options as at full size they will fill a 55g tank and a plec larger than a bristlenose won't fit.
If you have another tank ready for when the threadfins fill this tank I would suggest filament barbs for the upper level.

Of course if you get the decor right the tank will look good with just two fish.

At what size do the Acara push the bounds of the tank, in combination with the pleco? I want to know when to move the barbs, if I decide to go that route.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.29(Sat)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about six inch total length, six to eight months old, so not long.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.29(Sat)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some nice fish, I plan on putting 6 into a 220 in a couple of months. Need to mov the victorians out first.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.29(Sat)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
At about six inch total length, six to eight months old, so not long.

Hmm, the ones I've got my eye on might already be stunted then. They have to be at least six months old, and I wouldn't call them any more than four inches.

Of course, I could be out by as much as two months on their age, so I need to look into their origin a little bit more.

Either way, it's probably less work for me to just go all-out sculpting the tank and focus on the cichlids themselves.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.12.29(Sat)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be easy to do, they like a sand substrate and do enjoy a planted tank.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: