Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dead fish and shrimp
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2012.11.01(Thu)10:09    Post subject: Dead fish and shrimp Reply with quote

OK so in a 20 gallon tank I had 2 zebra danios. About a month ago after learning my tank had cycled I bought 2 ghost shrimp and 2 more zebras. After about a week or two my 2 new zebras died and this morning I found a dead ghostie. I have no idea what the water peramaters that they came out of were but my pH level is about 7.6 or so. I have what I have been told are diomes ground on my fake pirate ship. (on the sails) my two original zebras are still alive and one ghostie! I haven been doing water changes other than adding water when some evaporates out. No idea why these two fish and one shrimp died! I added them to the tank by floating the bag for about 5 hours an slowly added a little water once an hour. By the way, my shrimp loved eating the diomes on the sails when the lights went out.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.11.02(Fri)2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have just explained why the new fish died -
Quote:
I haven been doing water changes other than adding water when some evaporates out.

This is leaving all the fish wastes in the tank and concentrating them along with any minerals etc. from the tap.

Start doing proper water changes -10% twice a week to start so as not to suddenly change the water parameters and then up this to 20% per week.

- oh & lock away the pH test kit -pH doesn't matter as long as it is stable.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2012.11.03(Sat)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second every thing you have been told.Weekly water changes are a must.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: