Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can't make up my mind...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Malkingray
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.22(Mon)16:46    Post subject: Can't make up my mind... Reply with quote

About a year ago I decided I wanted an aquarium. I don't have a lot of space and chose a 20 gallon high starter kit. After much research I upgraded the filter that came with it, bought the decorations I wanted and now it is just sitting there empty. I have no idea what fish I want.

A friend was getting rid of her aquarium - 20 gallon long, with 5 White Clouds and a male red wag tail platy. So now I have some fish which I enjoy greatly but I want to change the set-up.

I would like the 20g high to be an Asian tank and I would like the WHite Clouds to be in that tank. I had hoped to get a pair of Dwarf Gourami but don't know if this would be ideal now. The White Clouds seem quite happy with the temp around 72 degrees. I'd like to add some color to the tank. I like most barbs. The tank decor is natural and will have a few live plants and artifical cloth plants. The tank is located in the living room, and while it isn't an active household it is the busiest of rooms in the house, so I don't want anything that will be shy and hide.

The 20g long is located in my sitting room where I read. Very qutie and peaceful. Obviously I need some more platies to keep the one I have company. I would like this to be a S. American themed tank. I am not a huge tetra fan, but I do like the "black widow" tetras and the serpae tetras as well. I'd like something that will school together. This tank came with blue gravel and bright green, yellow and orange plastic plants. The platy does look really cool with this color scheme, even though it isn't what I would have chosen.

I do not like catfish of any type, or loaches and I'd rather have fish that stay on the smaller side. I know I am very limited on the numbers I can have in either tank, but I'd like at least 2, maybe 3 species in each. I have read so many books, and spent hours on the internet looking at fish, and at the pet store too! They don't even ask me if I need help anymore...I'm just the crazy person who comes and stares at the fish for an hour and leaves. I wish I had the space for a much larger tank...I think it would be easier in the long run!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.23(Tue)5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your 20g Long (which, if I understand, is the one with platy in it - the South American tank), depending on your pH and a couple of other water-chemistry factors, would be an excellent south-am community tank. I know you don't like tetras, but a school of black skirts (what you referred to as Black Widows - G. Ternetzi, I believe) to contrast with the colorful and rotund platys would look sharp. In my opinion so would a school of rummy-nose tetras, but I know you're not a tetra fan, so I'll stick to the ones you specifically like. I just wouldn't expect any fry unless you are vigilant. The limiting factor on this particular union would be the water's hardness and the pH, as tetras and platys (in my experience) favour a narrow overlap.

Six Black Skirts and Five Platys does sound good. I would avoid even Ancistrus as all of the glass-cleaning fish get too large for your tank. Consider using tropical extracts or IALs - the tetras will appreciate it.

As for the other tank, it's my understanding that White Clouds are a cold-water fish; my first thought for a companion would be an ornamental-strain goldfish, but that would be a lot of work in 20-gallons, and one of the more militantly large-tank posters is going to berate me for having even suggested it, I assure you. Since 72* is already on the high end, I wouldn't go any warmer. Keeping clouds with a Dwarf Gourami is possible, but both fish would be pushed to the extreme of their tolerances. I've heard of WCMs living in 79* water, but it would take adjusting.

All that having been said, I've always liked Gouramis, and they look sharp with smaller fish of a body type like the minnows.

In either tank, to make your life easier, I'd suggest any of a variety of snails to do the bulk of your dirty-work. A single apple snail is plenty for algae-eating, and in my experience they don't reproduce asexually.
Malkingray
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.10.23(Tue)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought briefly about adding a goldfish to the tank with the white clouds, but didn't think 20 gallons would be big enough. If I don't do the asian theme would there be other species I could add with the white clouds?

I never really thought about adding snails. I will certainly do some research on them.

The Dwarf Gourami were the only fish I was absolutely certain about until I inherited the white clouds. I one day hope to have space for a larger tank as I would love a pair of Pearl Gourami.

Thanks!
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.23(Tue)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are weather loaches - but you have a stated hatred for loaches, so they're out.

After rifling through my book, there are a few other ideas: genus Stiphodon are from the Ryukin islands; Puntius achisporus which is, I suppose, a red-finned tiger barb; most of the Betta species, with a few exceptions for size; Paradise Fish (M. Opercularis) would be ideal since they're from the same geographic area.

If you wanted to do a stream-type biotope setup with cool water and high-ish flow, there are a few danio species that you might consider.

Since you seem to share my fondness for Gouramis, I do recommend the Paradise Fish. Males of the species are especially beautiful additions to tanks, and are a part of the Gourami family.

The only thing I can really go on about with the apple snails is that all invertebrates are entirely intolerant of copper and should be removed from a tank before any medications are used.
FishFlake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.25(Thu)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Killifish be appropriate for your tank with the White Clouds? Others here know far more than me, but it was my first thought.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.25(Thu)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really recommend Kilifish for the white cloud tank. Beyond my concerns with the temperature, I seem to remember kilis being short-lived even under ideal conditions, and best suited to a breeding-type environment.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: