Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mongkut's Palace - 10 Gal B. Splendens Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.20(Sat)21:03    Post subject: Mongkut's Palace - 10 Gal B. Splendens Tank Reply with quote

So, one of the perks of working at a shop is that you tend to get first-dibs on any fish that come through. We take in new livestock on Thursdays, and over the last few days I've been taking special care of the betas. I have the luck of working with the fish, but the poor luck of working with corporate, and my GM and I are the only ones remotely concerned about the fact that bettas live in cups. To make a long story short, I spend most of my spare time doing water changes and I get pretty familiar with the fish.

Now, quite a few of our bettas - usually the nicest, but sometimes just the last to get unpackaged, actually wind up in general population - in with the more docile community species and in particular in with the female bettas in our planted tanks. Unfortunately, these tanks aren't always... appropriate.

This little guy was somehow shoved in with some danios. The only other place to put him was the vase he was in, and I didn't find that too fun of an option.

So, swapped favors, a few dollars, and a wet walk home later, I'm sitting in front of a tank that might not be ideal, but is a damn sight better than the little vase he was going to be in!

There's a little equipment missing, but our little guy now has a name (Mongkut - Crown in Thai, or so I am told), actual working filtration (using creatively-borrowed and long-established sponge media), a diet, and heat. Still... not really worth being called a palace.

So here's the plan:

Filtration: Hagen Aquaclear 20 HOB, lowest setting, with wonderfully-scrungy foam sponge for media
Lighting: Hagan's "Solar" hood with Life-Glo fluorescent tube (I believe it's 14W for this size tank)

Plantation and Decoration: "Valley" design with tank sides planted in with Vesuvius Swords and back lined with Green Cabomba. Bare natural-gravel substrate with a bit of driftwood for a visual contrast. Duckweed as a floating plant to provide some top-cover.

Maintenance: 10% biweekly water changes and occasional removal of duckweed. Plant-Gro dosed regularly with water changes. Use of small amounts of aquarium salt and Tropical Extracts, respectively.

Feedings: Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Pinhead crickets or Bloodworm (as available). Sunday - Fast.

Potential Tankmates: A small brood (5-6?) of Cherry or Amano shrimp.

For the record... he really is a beautiful fish, but this garish gravel has to go.

Recommendations highly prized! Please bear in mind he was both exhausted from being beaten all to hell and was about to be relegated to the Vase Aisle.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.22(Mon)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: After two sketchy days in which I wasn't sure Mongkut was going to eat, it turns out he has a rather hearty appetite for Nutrafin Max pellets. I've also gone ahead and given him a slightly more appropriate layout.

This is the water after the substrate (Fluval Stratum) had time to settle down for most of a day. I was keeping Mongkut in a pitcher I had and doing frequent water changes, but since I have to go to work soon and I'll be gone for several hours, I thought the particulates in the filter would hurt him a lot less than sitting in an unheated, unfiltered pitcher for hours on end.

I'm worried about the rigidness of that plant so I'm going to be replacing it with live plants as soon as possible.

These pictures really don't do his colouration justice. Any tips? Also, do bettas appreciate tropical extracts, or should I find a source for IALs?

ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.10.26(Fri)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour's back!

ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.11.01(Thu)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some explanation.

These are my plans for planting, once the time comes to get live-planting going again. I'm going to be dosing with PlantGro, and this comes after the lighting (15 Watts of LifeGlo2, baby!)

The tallish plant on the left is badly drawn Water Wisteria, in front of which I intend to place a dwarf Anubias. The plant on the other side is whorly Rotala, and the surface cover will probably be duckwort, though, if it causes problems for lighting, I'll have to remove it.

I've also started Mongkut on Tropical Extracts since nobody in my area caries IAL.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.11.07(Wed)23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what is so sad about bettas in cups. How happy your betta looks exploring the grassy plant and having some fun.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.11.08(Thu)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad he got a rescue. He's doing really well, but I really need to get him lit and planted properly. Plastic plants do not a healthy tank make.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.17(Mon)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

After tinkering with a few favours, swapping out broken parts with working parts from machines with other broken parts, and spending a very small amount, I've finally managed to put a canopy on Mongkut's tank.

For the first time, I have a proper appreciation for just how quiet a HOB filter can be, since, with the cover secure, I can actually have the water level up high enough that the filter runs silent.

The new hood allows me to use a dedicated light for the tank, so I've added a 14W Life-Glo 2 bulb (surprise, a hagen product) which has the right colour temperature and power levels for live plants. From left to right, the plants are something labelled as "L. Major" that I can't quite identify, the Amazon Sword, and Hygrophilia Polysperma. This combination of plants, I am hoping, will suit mongkut nicely. All are relatively tall plants that will fill out and give him lots of hiding room.

I haven't really considered dosing ferts as I am hoping that Mongkut's been in the tank long enough that the plants are fairly well-based, but I do have a bottle of Nutrafin Plant Gro floating around if it starts to look necessary. I've also been giving him tropical extracts. I think they're bringing out his colour.

ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.12.22(Sat)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recent bonus for having covered enough extra shifts to basically replace a staff member in the last couple of weeks, my boss gave me our last ten cardinal tetras.

ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.01.06(Sun)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as some may have noticed in the last batch of pictures, I'm having brown algae issues... and it's not primed to go away. I scrub and I change, but the algae is here to stay. I'm not aware of any species that eat it, and this tank is pushing stocking limits anyway,

Here's a picture of mongkut flaring at his reflection, which seems to be the norm:

[img]https://plus.google.com/photos/instantupload/5828650418224825010[/img]

Sadly, I fear my test results for this tank may not be accurate... there seems to be no good reason why it should have brown algae as the phosphates are flatlined. I'll have to run another batch before his change next week.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.02.21(Thu)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is looking great!

Skip the salt and "tropical extracts." The plants and shrimp will not appreciate the salt, and it doesn't offer a lot of benefit to the fish, unless you are fighting ick.

Shrimp will very likely become betta snacks.

Driftwood that naturally leeches tannins and/or IAL would be better than the extracts.

Diatom (brown) algae is normal in new tanks and in tanks with recent changes.

You will need to step up the water changes now that you've added that many cardinals... your tank is fully stocked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: