Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Cichlid owner could use a little help.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Randirock92
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.08.23(Thu)18:44    Post subject: New Cichlid owner could use a little help. Reply with quote

OK so I am new to owning Cichlids, I've had sevoral other species of fish but they were all very simple care. I decided I wanted something a little more interesting, so I bought a Bumblebee Cichlid. Now I'll admit I didn't put much reasurch into the species before I got one, but I think I've done alright.The fish seems content and it eats well, and I feel like it has exploded in size. I just have a few questions about some of the behaviors I have seen.

First, Well I guess Its not a behavior... But how can I tell if I have a Male or Female?

Second, I've noticed that the fish moves the gravel in the bottom of the tank around. It picks up the pieces and moves them into a pile against the frount of the tank, untill it has created an area in the back with no gravel. Does anyone know why he does this?

And Third, I would like to introduce more fish or otheraquatic animals to the tank, but I've been told they are very agressive. what would be th best species to try.

If anyone can give me some tips it would be a great help thanks.
kamaruh
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.01(Sat)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I am also new to cichlids and I've read that some species nest in sand/gravel to make it their territory so its normal, about adding other fishes u might want to research before putting it and I don't want u to make the same mistakes as I did = / most of them are agressive especialy when u mistakenly bought a pair as I did and would develop into a major pain in the @$$ in the long run... anyways these fishes are fun and beautiful with fascinating personalities so goodluck to ya
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.02(Sun)4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Is this him? http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_crabro.php

What you have there is one of to most aggressive mbuna money can buy.

How big is the tank?

What is you hardness ?

What is your pH?

He is making a hole to attract a female, so he is a male.

What filter do you have?

Is the tank cycled?

You need to feed him low protein food or he will get Malawi bloat.
Randirock92
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.09.04(Tue)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats what he looks like, and he is the only fish in a 35 gal tank, I try to keep the pH at 8, and I have a topfin filter thats supposed to be good up to 50gal.
I'm not sure what u mean bu is the water cycled but I change about half of the water every week or so.

I do not know the hardness of the water but I treat it for heavy metels.

he is on a low protine diet.

is my tank big enough to introduce other fish? He is about 5 inches long and the only other animals in the tank are 2 snails which he has not killed, and they hae been in there for 2 months.

He has killed another fish, when I bought him like I said I didn't to the reasurch I should have and I also bought a jewled cichlid. when I got them both fish were less than an inch long and about the same size, Infact Buzz was slightly smaller. now because of my lack of reasurch they wer being housed in a tank that was much much too small (only a 5 gal). they seemed happy and content in this tank for a few months. eventualy they becan to grow and buz quickly became biggr than the other fish. when he was about 2 1/2 inches long I noticed he started picking on the other fish. which is when I started reasurching the species. by the time I realized my mistake and bought a bigger tank Buzz had already killed the other fish.

I assued he killed the other fish because of tank space, but is he likely to kill any other fish that I put in the tank or is mine big enough to try?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.09.05(Wed)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a tank that size I would suggest you keep him on his own. He is very likely to kill any fish you add.

You might want to have a read through the articles <<<< to see what we mean by cycling or the nitrogen cycle and water chemistry including hardness.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: