Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter Died after cycle, before fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.07.19(Thu)17:32    Post subject: Filter Died after cycle, before fish. Reply with quote

Have been cycling my new 30G tank and last couple readings have been simular

ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 10-20

(Cycled with raw prawns [before I get told off I couldnt find any pure ammonia Sad ] can't remember exactly when without looking at my wee book (not home atm) but I think it was cycling for 3 weeks (at least) (with some help in the form of a hand full of substrate from established tank in a net and a swish of established filter media)
So did a 50% water change to get ready for some fish. Eventually got it all drained out then filled back up and disaster! Filter broke! (it came second hand with tank, an old Fluval 4)
Gave it a few pokes and prods and changed the fuse and tried different sockets but eventually gave up and bought a second hand Ultra Jet 3337 Professional Canister filter (first time going external) Thought may as well get one now while I need one and without the fish. Its due to arrive Monday (4 days after old filter went bye bye).
I've kept it (and the filter media) in the tank for now and kept my air pump (bubble wall, air stone and decoration) on full time on full air to try and get as much water movement as possible.
I know some bacteria has developed in the sand substrate and decor bog wood etc. but would this be enough for a newly started tank? or should I put in a couple more raw prawns?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.20(Fri)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just put the sponges from the fluval in the canister.

I would try another shrimp to check the bacteria are functioning well.

Older fluval power heads can often be restarted if you clean them out and then jiggle them up & down in a bucket of water.
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.07.21(Sat)5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing is I don't think the air pump is creating enough flow past the filter so the bacteria is probably dying off at the minute.

Will try jiggling it a bit more then lol
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.07.21(Sat)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have let the filter sponges loose in the tank to keep as much surface with some water flow. Just put the sponges in the canister. You will probably have a spike but some bacteria should have survived to speed up this cycle.

Take the fluval apart and try and restart without the filter box.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: