Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
NEw guy needs some help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.08(Sun)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
The pH up & down needs throwing away. Don't tell me the guy at the fish store sold it to you?
pH is rarely a problem and adjusters cause more problems than they solve. a problem. The kit will work but you could have purchased a useful nitrite kit instead.

A pH kit is usually only needed if you have extreme hard or soft tapwater or are breeding sensitive fish.

It looks like the filter should have more in in and the water is not flowing through the bag but just bypassing the carbon bag. Can you get some filter floss/ wool? Pack the compartment around the carbon bag with this so the water is forced to flow through it. ( this is cheap).

You plants do not look well - they may survive but pull up the crown plants so the bases of the leaves are above the gravel.

You are down to what fish?



No. I bought the pH test kit when I was doing my own research. Embarassed Still a newbie!!!!

I am using well water so there is no need for a pH kit then. I'm going to keep it just so I can still have it.

The water in the filter is going through the bag I assure you. Its a tight fit for that thing and it hits the bottom. The picture might not show it but the top of the bag is actually ABOVE the water level. But it also touches the bottom.

Which ones are the crown plants? I have the Water Wisteria and the Amazon Swords. I am assuming the Amazon Swords are the ones your talking about?


I am down to one Minnow and two Zebra Danios.

God I feel SOOOOO stupid right now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.10(Tue)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so after some careful deliberation here is what I AM going to do.

1. Purchase the heater from the local fish store (I know the guy isn't great but I do want that heater) because a heater will make a tropical tank easier to care for.

2. I have done some small partial water changes over the past couple of days.

3. I have only been feeding once every couple of days to keep the ammonia level to a minimum because I already have a couple fish in there.

4. Purchase a nitrIte test kit to make sure that the cycle is complete.

5. ADD MY FISHIES!!!!

Is there anything else I need to regularly test for once I have more fish in there?

Based on the pics. Do I need more hiding places for fish?

The fish I would LIKE to have would be a Ghost Shrimp, A very pretty male Betta, some more Zebras (a school of like 6) and some Phantom Tetras. Maybe a Pleco as well.

Am I wrong on any of this?

Thank you guys for all the help!!!! I will continue to update!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2012.07.10(Tue)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine except don't add any more fish until the cycle is complete and then add new fish gradually allowing the filter to catch up. Adding up to half the existing biomass every two weeks gives the filter chance to keep up.

Why risk more fish?

I would also add some floss to make the HOB filter more effective.

The tank is too small for a pleco apart from a few species and they need a bit of wood to aid their digestion. In about four months time we can discuss what may suit.

You can mix your danios with the golden form. They can be a bit nippy and may shred a betta's fins.
Black neons would fit in better than phantoms -they are hardier and then to swim in the lower half of the tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.10(Tue)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Fine except don't add any more fish until the cycle is complete and then add new fish gradually allowing the filter to catch up. Adding up to half the existing biomass every two weeks gives the filter chance to keep up.

Why risk more fish?

I would also add some floss to make the HOB filter more effective.

The tank is too small for a pleco apart from a few species and they need a bit of wood to aid their digestion. In about four months time we can discuss what may suit.

You can mix your danios with the golden form. They can be a bit nippy and may shred a betta's fins.
Black neons would fit in better than phantoms -they are hardier and then to swim in the lower half of the tank.


Yeah I certainly didn't mean to add more fish until after the cycle is complete.

What would be a recommended tank set up fish wise?

After 4 months we can discuss? It will take 4 months to get maybe a pleco in there? sorry but it's worded kinda odd. Maybe some typos?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2012.07.10(Tue)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least four months until you can consider getting a pleco. Very Happy

You obviously like a fake style tank so keep your eye open for another bit of decor that you want to be looking at.
Perhaps a bunch of egeria or cabomba would fill out the empty side?

Six danios, six tetras, maybe a Betta and a bulldog or clown plec and maybe some shrimp would fill the tank. For now keep the temp at around 72F and gradually raise it to 76F once the tank is cycled and you complete the danio shoal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.10(Tue)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
At least four months until you can consider getting a pleco. Very Happy

You obviously like a fake style tank so keep your eye open for another bit of decor that you want to be looking at.
Perhaps a bunch of egeria or cabomba would fill out the empty side?

Six danios, six tetras, maybe a Betta and a bulldog or clown plec and maybe some shrimp would fill the tank. For now keep the temp at around 72F and gradually raise it to 76F once the tank is cycled and you complete the danio shoal.


I'm not exactly looking for a fake style tank as much as I just loved that ship when I saw it. Lol. There is this really cool looking submarine I saw as well that I would like to have but that would be it for the fake stuff. I will have a natural looking backing on the tank soon enough.

The egeria and cabomba look really cool. Would it be better to have fake plants AND real plants or just all real? I was sort of thinking going fake for a couple more plants to go the entire height of the tank for the fish to be able to hide in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.21(Sat)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my water tested again and she said there is a lot of ammonia in the tank and that it has not started to turn into nitrites or nitrates yet, she recommended putting some bio filter bacteria in the tank to help it along. Any other ideas on what I should do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2012.07.22(Sun)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy any bottled bacteria please check with us as most are useless. What would help is donor bacteria from a healthy filter - the gunge from a filter sponge or a few bits of media.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aqua Barker
Members


Joined: 21 May 2012

PostPosted: 2012.07.22(Sun)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Before you buy any bottled bacteria please check with us as most are useless. What would help is donor bacteria from a healthy filter - the gunge from a filter sponge or a few bits of media.


That's why I'm asking here first!!

I have already checked the two local fish stores and none of them are willing to donate any. Any other ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2012.07.23(Mon)1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bottled bacteria are better than others - most are useless.

If you are down to just the danios continue with sparse feeding and twice a week water changes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L