Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter off for a week!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.06.23(Sat)17:46    Post subject: Filter off for a week! Reply with quote

I'm a complete and utter moron!

(Backstory): Got my aunt a 55L fish tank for her birthday and I come up every weekend to clean it etc and she feeds them during the week. Currently in there is 2 zebra danios, 2 platys and 8 neon tetra (asked for 6 at shop last week and got 2 hitchikers).
(Fish tank was fishless cycled, but I assume it went through a mini cycle when added zebra danios and platys, but everything is/has been very stable for the next 6 weeks when I put in the 8 tetra)

(The incident): Last sunday I did my normal routine, 10-15% water change which brings the water level bellow minimum filter level so I switch it off until I get it filled back up again.
today (Saturday evening) I went in to check on them and seen, still unplugged was the filter. Did a head count and there was no fatalities, just colours (particularly in neons) were very poor and all seemed a bit lethargic. Plugged in filter and did a 10% water change (just to get some new water in immediately) then did another 10% water change. Will do another water change tomorrow.
Could see colours come back and the fish cheering up almost immediately but theres a couple neons I'm a bit worried about, still not getting colours (only 20mins or so since).

Its a fairly quiet filter so I understand why my aunt missed it, have I did any long term damage to the fish? Could there be fatalities to come? Anything more I can do?
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.06.23(Sat)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish colours now slightly duller than earlier, turned up filter air valve.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.06.24(Sun)2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you should have done was rinse the filter out in some tank water before switching back on as there will be dead bacteria in the filter adding to the load the surviving bacteria have to deal with.
Do this now and do a 50% water change. If you can rinse your tanks filter media in some tank water add this dirty water to your aunts tank.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: