Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Biorb Set up
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.20(Sun)14:07    Post subject: Biorb Set up Reply with quote

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, couldnt decide where to post, but I assume equipement means tanks too.

Anyway I got a 60l biorb for my bedroom as its very quiet (pic bellow) and have been cycling it. I've been preoccupied with exams and non-fish related stuff and need to consider what I'm going to decorate the tank with. At the minute I've just put the Biorb ceramic media in it for the funky bacteria, but as you know its not that nice aesthetically and quite sharp for fish.
I know you can buy some expensive pebbles from Biorb to cover them, but what I'd like to know is if you have seen/set up some alternative substrate cover?
For example could you get some "normal" substrate - coloured aquarium gravel for example and put a small layer over the ceramic media? Quite fancied having a jet black covering over it.
Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks,
Michael
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.21(Mon)0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange choice as the Biorb uses an airpump driven filter which is much noisier than an internal pump.
You will see demo tanks in stores with a layer over the aragrog (that is all the biorb media is) but these become impossible to maintain effectively. Better to keep the grog in place and avoid bottom dwellers.
If you want to change the look throw out the filter and use a small Fluval instead.
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.25(Fri)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the biorb air pump filter much quieter than an internal pump actually (may just be the latest model) but is definitely quieter than my 50l with an internal.

The demo in LFS was alright but it wasnt particularly well done, wanted to see if anyone had seen some nice set ups and to post a link please
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.05.25(Fri)5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't your 50 litre have a built in overhead rather than an internal filter? These are much noisier than internals which should be silent.
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.26(Sat)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an "Eheim pick up internal filter" http://www.petplanet.CO2.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1301&pf_id=54455&CO2=fr&gclid=CNvk9t7VnrACFYt-fAodaR8lYQ

don't like it, quite hard to get into to maintain and noisy but didn't pay for it (got it with the tank from my dad)

Not sure what you mean by an overhead one (external?), but the one in my biorb is much quieter than I expected it to be
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: