Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Tale of Two 10 Gallons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.09(Mon)14:40    Post subject: A Tale of Two 10 Gallons Reply with quote

Hello, as the title says I have two ten gallon tanks, and, when I move from the dorms to a house in September, I want to set them up.

Tank 1:

I decided I wanted to do something South East Asian. Kind of a sandy bottom with round rocks and pebbles, and cryptocorynes scattered throughout. In one tank I was thinking a school of about 5-6 small rasboras with a centerpiece fish like a pair of Licorice Gourami. Is this feasible in a 10 gallon tank or would I be pushing the stocking capabilities?

Tank 2:
I don't necessarily know if I want to even set up a second tank, but if I were to I would want to keep a single RTBS. Would this be possible?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.09(Mon)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first is possible but no room for error.

The second -No!
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.09(Mon)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think max size for an RTBS is like 6", which is way too big imo for a 10 gallon.

One setup for a 10 gallon I like is a betta, an African dwarf frog or 2 and maybe a couple of otos.
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.11(Wed)2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I debated a little and changed my plan a good deal. It could prove difficult to provide the proper water conditions for the licorice gourami, plus the bio load seems to be a tad heavy.

3 options (all weighed evenly):
1. a trio of dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma trifasciata would be ideal) with a single oto (or some small invertebrate algae eater). I feel like the oto would be lonely in this situation.

2. 5-6 Dwarf Pencilfish with some, probably invertebrate, algae eater (unless the pencilfish are algae eaters in their own right).

3. 5-6 Checkered Barbs and either a sincere hope that they will help me clean the tank or an invertebrate algae eater.

Which is easiest to maintain (I am a student), cheapest to set up, and most beneficial to the well being of the fish. Also, it would be a real joy if the fish bred easily.
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.13(Fri)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Question:
What is a filter that create only a little water turbulence? I'm only really familiar with HOB filter most of which cause quite a bit of turbulence.

Also, I asked the same question as I did above on another forum and got a reply saying 8 Dwarf Pencilfish and 6 Cherry Shrimp. Does this sound good to you guys? If not what would be a better set up.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.13(Fri)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatt is your tapwater like?

TBH if you want to breed fish in a 10g I would get a trio of shelldwellers.
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.13(Fri)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I don't know where I'm gonna be living next year (college student presently in dorms) I have no idea what my tap will be like. I expect it to be roughly basic because from my experience that is what tap tends to be. I realize Pencilfish like low hardness (below 10 at the very least) and acidic water (6.5 would do the trick I think). My plan is either to lace the substrate with peat, or the filter with peat, or both. I really don't mind tannins. In fact, I'm going for a plant-less tank with a dark, fine grain substrate, a butt-load of wood, and Amazon Frogbit. Kinda want to get as close to a real biotope as possible. I will do anything short of buying artificial pH and hardness modifiers to get the water conditions right. Will the peat not do enough alone?

I find shell-dwellers immensely interesting. That's a really good suggestion I hadn't of thought of before. When I find out what my tap will be like I can choose the more appropriate setup.
Dolphin Dip
Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.13(Fri)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Whatt is your tapwater like?

TBH if you want to breed fish in a 10g I would get a trio of shelldwellers.

Shelldwellers would definitely do better in what will probably be hard water. Plus, they're a lot of fun to watch.
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.14(Sat)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Shelldwellers are prime. Just to be safe I wrote out two plans.

10 Gallon Pencilfish Tank

Fauna:
    8 Nannostomus Marginatus
    6 Cherry Shrimp

Flora:
    Amazon Frogbit

Substrate:
    Dark Sand/Peat

Water Conditions:
    pH: 6.5
    Hardness: Below 10
    Temp: 25
mantella
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.04.16(Mon)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about

Nannostomus maginatus:
ADA AP-1
Frozen BBS
Cyclops?
Daphina?

Shelldweller sp.:
Hikari Cichlid Gold
Frozen BBS
(Foods needed here?)

How do you acquire/breed Cyclops or Daphina? I have no idea what they really are. I have just seen them talked about.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: