Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cycling + vacation = ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.06(Fri)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep adding shrimp. TIf you cut section of stockings or hose knot an end, add shrimp, tie other end and drop in the tank you can net them all out when the cycle has finished. It is a good idea to add a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate to the tank weekly unless you have hard water.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.06(Fri)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, is there a way to test if I have hard water? I think I do but I'm not sure.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.06(Fri)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy GH & KH test kits but first try asking at the nearest fish store?
Your water supplier may have details on their website (put a link to them if you can't find the bit you need).

Cheats way is to boil some water dry in a steel or glass pan. If you can scrape a residue you have hard water. Laughing
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.06(Fri)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I did some googling and I found out that we have fairly hard water here (in Edmonton, Alberta). So no adding salt, then?

Will having a bit hard water affect what kinds of fish I can have? (Edit:) although now I think on it, the LFS would have to use the same water too, unless they have a water softener installed.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.07(Sat)1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodium Bicarbonate is not the same as sodium chloride.
The reason you add baking soda to a cycling softwater tank is that carbonate is used by the bacteria processing nitrite to nitrate and lack of carbonate stalls the cycle.
Sound like you don't need it.
Most fish are not too fussy about water harness as long as you avoid extremes but many tetras will not thrive long term. Don't believe what the stores tell you......if they do have a softwater section those fish would be stressed if moved to local water so avoid them.

What fish did you have in mind?
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.08(Sun)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeahhhh I knew that wasn't salt, I was just not thinking when I was typing haha.

I just set up the tank, and tested my water.

I'm a little worried, because my city adds trace ammounts of ammonia to the water for cleaning or something stupid thing, but then I read that ammonia + chlorine = chloramine? Although I guess when the cycle's done it will take care of that little bit of ammonia, right?

Also, my pH is a lot higher than I thought, its about 7.8. Which I assume is because of/contributed to by the hard water.

ANYWAY. I managed to find ammonia in like... the 8th store I tried, which is great.

Fish I have in mind. I'm not sure about some, especially the centerpiece fish, but I know I want cories and otos. For schooling I was thinking cardinals, Harlequin rasboras and/or rummy noses (which I know are more sensitive, they'd probably be the last things I'd add.)
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.09(Mon)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update... I accidentally dosed the ammonia too high, oops. Its reading at higher than 8ppm (or I assume so since the colour is darker and slightly bluer than the dark green that indicates 8 in my kit)

That's okay, right? It will just take longer for the bacteria to build up, won't it? Or should I do a PWC to dilute it a bit?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.04.10(Tue)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% water change and then test again. Change more if needed. Don't forget dechlorinator.

Aim for 4ppm. You may have much higher than 8ppm which will kill bacteria.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.10(Tue)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm in that case I think maybe I'll just start over. I want to change how I have the substrate anyway, so maybe I'll just drain the tank, change the layout of the bottom and refill.

And dose less than half of what I put last time!! My tank is about 135L / 36 gallons (I found out it was a little bigger than I thought!) so I was following the instructions from an article on this site about fishless cycling, it said to put about a 1/2 cup for 200L so I put just under 1/3 of a cup for my 135L. Clearly that was too much, haha. I will try just 1 tablespoon and go from there this time, I think.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.12(Thu)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I redid the bottom of the tank, refilled it, and let it run for 24 hrs. Last night I added 2 tbsps of ammonia, and after an hour it was reading at about 5ppm (just slightly darker than what 4 indicated and much lighter than Cool.

How long do you think it'll be before I see a change? Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: