Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help to find a center peice fish for 60G
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)17:33    Post subject: Need help to find a center peice fish for 60G Reply with quote

Hello all! I am a new member but longtime reader of the site (5+ years). I have a new 60 gallon tank and a looking for a centerpiece fish. I currently have 10 H. Rasboras in my cycled tank. I will be adding the following fish slowly (at least this is my thought so far) 10 more harlequin rasboras, 6 peppered corys, 4 otos. I am looking for a centerpiece fish. Something peaceful, larger and able to coexist with my plan. I am thinking a Pearl Gourami. Would that work. Is that fish OK by itself? Would I need to have 1 male, 2 females? Would that work with my set up?
What other options might there be?
The following are my specs: 60g hex. Aquaclear 70 filter. 7.2 pH, 79 degrees F, 120 hardness. Planted aquarium.
I would be happy to give any other info requested
Thank you!
Quote:

Last edited by joelswoboda on 2012.03.30(Fri)20:44; edited 1 time in total
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the pearl gourami then that's the perfect choice for you. They're usually pretty gentle fish and in a tank that size you shouldn't have any trouble with 1 male and 2 females.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
If you like the pearl gourami then that's the perfect choice for you. They're usually pretty gentle fish and in a tank that size you shouldn't have any trouble with 1 male and 2 females.

Thanks for the reply Marcos! Any other suggestions? And how should I handle the rest of my stocking? In other words, what fish should be next and how many? Should I add the 6 Cory's next? More h. Rasboras? Otos last, not including the 'show fish'?
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.30(Fri)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, substrate is sand. A light sand. The first layer is gravel from an old tank, the next is plant specific material, I forget the name, and the top is a light colored sand. I can't figure out how to post a pic, so I could use help on that as well.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the tank's dimensions please? Tall tanks take different stocking to longer, shallower tanks.
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimensions: 27"x24"x29.5"
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are those measurements from?

Is sounds like you have too many fish planned as with a Hex the fish can't get far away form each other. Peppered cories are one of the larger and cooler temperature species so C.sterbai or similar would be a better option.

I would choose thicklipped gouramis as a centerpiece unless you can get plants or decor to reach the surface?
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using a tape measure...????? A equalateral hexagon has the diminsions I posted. One measurement, lets call it depth, would be from the middle of a side to the oposite side. The other, we will call it length, would be from one "corner" to the oposite "corner."
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bt the way, I love your cory advise. I do plan on using that suggestion.
joelswoboda
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about the plants and lighting. I am planning a DIY lid for the tank that would drastically improve the lighting potential of the tank. I have ideas. anyone else have suggestions?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: