Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
125 G stocking question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.14(Wed)18:00    Post subject: 125 G stocking question Reply with quote

Well, I started setting up the 125G again. Aiming for a natural setup, so itll be a month or more before flooding and a few months after that for cycling and growing out the gammarus/backworm populations.

I want a light stocking, something that won't eat the population of gammarus in its entirety. I plan to lightly feed thetank and add dry oak leaves.

The only filtration is plants. This has me nervous. I wanted a stockking plan where I can grow a tiny community without maxing the filter (I have backup filters jic)

My daughter really wants tiger barbs and I want corydoras. I was thinking:

6 otos
10 corydoras
10 tiger barbs

I have lots of time building up the plant mass and getting the lighting right first, but does the plan sound feasible?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.16(Fri)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no experience with big tanks, it sounds OK to me. If anything, could double your school size. Only potential problem I see is trying to feed the Corys without the tiger barbs snarfing it all.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.16(Fri)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that there are several problems with your plan. I started fishkeeping when filters were rare and it is hard work and very easy to kill fish.

Why no filter? Without a filter you are really limiting the fish you can keep and you won't get a viable food colony with those fish - remember the inverts also add to the bioload.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.16(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

No filter for a few reasons:

(1) I'm a tinkerer. Want to see what kind of filtration I can get with emergent plants. I'll be heavily monitoring nitrites/nitrates and cycling with dead shrimp before adding gammarus/blackworms. After that, it'll be touch and go for a while. BUT....
(2) I have a 125G sponge filter I'm keeping cycled as backup Smile I wanted to try with just plants because I like the look better. The Aquarium has more than enough room to hide a sponge filter though. My stocking plan was:

(with 1-2 months between each stocking to ensure the bio filter is *stable*)
Gammarus & Blackworms
RCS
6 otos
6 corydoras
6 tiger barbs

After this, it's a good question of whether or not I can add more. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get to tiger barbs before I add the sponge, but I want to discover how much filtration my plants can really do. I'm using cyperus umbrella sedge, which grows *very* fast and tall.

(3) Ideally, I wanted to set up a hydroponic filter with my sump in the basement. $$, time and such didn't work out. Also, I can't take anything out of that tank, since it may be diseased. Maybe in a few years.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.16(Fri)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note: You can still convince me to have a filter. I'm not dead-set against it. I just haven't found a cheap canister or sump tank yet, so I thought I'd tinker. I love tinkering.

I also hate losing fish, so if it's a terrible idea I won't do it. I'm still bummed about that moonlight gourami (lenny). I'm terrified to buy more of those knowing they bring disease.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to at least toss in a couple of powerheads to keep the water moving? I think water motion itself is much more important than having a filter.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I was planning to get two and try to get a circular flow going (opposite corners of the tank). I've already made the mistake once of not having enough water flow with a sponge filter.

Plus, the cyperus will be on the right hand side of the tank, so it'll need some flow to ensure ammonia makes it to the main biofilter.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a plant pot filter powered by the powerhead?
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.18(Sun)23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant pot filter?

I may be setting up what you suggest, but not sure we're talking about the same thing. I picked up a flood-and-drain plane ($10) for hydroponics a while back. It's 3ft long by ~8" wide. I need to build a good looking stand for it (good looking being key), but I believe I can use it to grow some nice houseplants + get extra filtration. It's one of my tinkering ideas, and it was going to try it out on my old 10 gallon in the garage for a while.

Is a plant pot filter something different? A google search result reveals you suggesting this to others, but I didn't find a description, only pictures of plant pots filled with water.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.19(Mon)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plant pot filter is a concentrated version of an undergravel filter. It can be made in any container but a terracotta plant pot adds weight & fits in easier with tank decor.
You pump water up from the bottom of the pot which is filled with aragrog, filter noodles, foam or any media with a layer of gravel over the top. The water then is pulled down through the media.
It takes a powerhead, a pipe with a few holes at the bottom a container & media. Cheap , easy, effective and safe for small fish so is often used in fry tanks.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: