Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano Fish Tank - 20g long
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)9:45    Post subject: Nano Fish Tank - 20g long Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a little journal regarding my "Nano Fish" tank.

Tank size: 20g long
Filtration: AquaClear 50 and a Fluval in-tank filter
Heater: Eheim Jager 75w
Substrate: Estes black "marine" sand (was playsand)
Lighting: Coralife 42w T5NO (free Craigslist find!)
CO2: DIY with Duetto reactor
Ferts: Pfertz liquid
Plants:
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hygrophila sp Tiger
Ludwigia brevipes
Nechamandra alternifolia
Persicaria/Polygonum praetermissum Ruby
Persicaria/Polygonum sp Sao Paulo
Rotala rotundifolia
Staurogyne repens Tropica
Echinodorus bolivianus
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hygrophila species "Araguaia"
Blyxa japonica
Peacock moss

Fish:
9 Corydoras habrosus
1 Boraras merah
2 Boraras maculatus
18 Boraras naevus
4 Celestial Pearl Danio

The various Boraras species are an interesting story. I originally purchased five of what I thought to be one species from my LFS. Two died on the way home. After further research, I discovered I had one B. merah and two B. maculatus. I decided I liked the merah better so I won an auction for 18 of them off of Aquabid. I got them in, started comparing to my other Boraras species, and discovered I now had a THIRD species: B. naevus.

Merah: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Boraras&species=merah&id=948

Maculatus: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Boraras&species=maculatus&id=947

Naevus: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Boraras&species=naevus&id=1309

Naevus is actually my least favorite of the three... but so it goes. I may see how my tank handles the bioload and stock a few more merah and possibly maculatus... but I probably won't order anything until spring. I do definitely want to get a couple more CPDs since they are nippy fish and I want the aggression spread out more.

Pics to follow!

Last edited by nikelodeon79 on 2012.03.06(Tue)9:51; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics are pretty cruddy because I haven't taken "final" pics yet.

Tank thrown together quickly because I hadn't planned on getting fish that day:

Tank de-rimmed, new light fixture installed, and new plants floating aimlessly, still waiting for a substrate switch:

That's it for now. I'm going to get a new full tank pic with the plants planted and the new black substrate (white substrate was stressing out the fish), and I'll also ATTEMPT to get fish pictures but these guys are pretty tiny and hard to photograph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: