Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nutrient deficiency diagnosis
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops just noticed something - is the Anubias planted with the rhizome (thick green central stem) buried? If so, that could be your problem. If buried, the rhizome rots and the leaves attached to that bit dies.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rhizome is sitting out of the substrate pretty well...

The 2 anubias barteri sitting next to it are doing pretty well and have already sent out 1 or 2 new good-sized leaves.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)15:47    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Quick update on this: I did a 40% water change yesterday. Resumed the normal EI daily dosage this morning. When I came home from work a little over 8 hours later, I found brown algae on the substrate (it had already been on the wood). I read that this can be caused by excess phosphate... perhaps I will dial back from the 45ml of phosphate I've been adding in the mornings Wink
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually caused by instability - most tanks go through brown algae phases when something has changed.

Haven't heard the phosphate one before - people usually associate that one with other algaes (though whether high phosphate actually does cause algae is often a hot topic of debate on forums).
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)22:30    Post subject: changes? Reply with quote

The only change the has been happening is the fertilizer dosing since last Tuesday and yesterday's partial water change. I did a water test this evening and found that nitrates were sitting somewhere between 20ppm and 40ppm according to my API Master Test Kit (it wasn't red but it didn't seem to be the light/bright orange of 10ppm); last Monday, my nitrate reading was 0ppm.

I've been roughly adding the following every day

• 13ml Flourish Comprehensive
  • 10ml Flourish Potassium
  • 43ml Flourish Phosphate
  • 20ml Flourish Nitrogen

I'm going to cut the Flourish Phosphate dosage in half for the remainder of the week to see how that affects the brown algae. It will also save me from buying another bottle of Flourish Potassium so soon!
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.12(Mon)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to reduce the amount of time that my lights are on. I realized today that I upgraded my lights (2 T5HO in place of 1 T5HO and 1 T5NO) without adjusting the photo-period! Ugh!

I spent 2 hours cleaning my tank on Saturday only to find it worse today after work. The plants are doing really well but all of this brown algae is quite an eyesore. :'(
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: