Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to forum with SICK beta:( Advice please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upload pics to www.Photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code. You have to create an account but it's free.

Go ahead and post the video link, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the video link to my album that includes 4 photos of the betta and a video:

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/PaisleyAnn/

Let me know if I need to post links individually. I look forward to hearing any in put you have regarding the tank or what needs to be done with the betta!
Very Happy
Thanks in advance!!!
P
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

He actually doesn't look too bad to me... just a bit stressed. He's getting used to his new surroundings.

You likely will see him perk up a bit once you take out the zebra danios. Fast moving fish tend to stress bettas out a bit. You also might want to encourage him to flare... with most bettas just showing them a pencil eraser is enough. You could also use a small mirror so he thinks there's another male betta to make flarey faces at. Don't do it too often, as it will stress him out, but a little flaring here and there will do him good.

He would appreciate more plant cover. Vallisneria is a good choice because it grows in most lights and you can usually get a lot of it for pretty cheap. I got 20+ corkscrew vals off aquabid.com for around $20, including shipping. Floating plants are also appreciated. Duckweed grows in any conditions but it can become quite a pest... I used it in my betta tanks (I believe the link to my betta tanks is still in my sig) and simply took out plants that got too big and threw them in the trash.

The Ludwigia in your tank could grow in and provide more cover, but if you have the stock lighting that came with your tank, chances are it's not going to grow very quickly.

Bettas also love tannin stained water so a bit of mopani driftwood to stain the water brownish would be appreciated. Alternatively, you could order some Indian Almond Leaves. They are almost always available on Aquabid or ebay.

Oh, and I couldn't tell from the pics/video, but make sure the rhizome of that anubias plant in the middle isn't buried or it will die. I generally attach rhizome plants like anubias to driftwood/rocks in my tanks with a bit of thread, and by the time the thread rots, the plant has rooted itself to the decor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You likely will see him perk up a bit once you take out the zebra danios. Fast moving fish tend to stress bettas out a bit.

I will be taking them back to the store today. Hopefully that will help, he was in the tank all by himself for 7 days and his fins looked the same as they do right now w/the danios. Maybe I just didn't give him enough time in there by himself to fan his fins back out.

Quote:
You also might want to encourage him to flare... with most bettas just showing them a pencil eraser is enough. You could also use a small mirror so he thinks there's another male betta to make flarey faces at. Don't do it too often, as it will stress him out, but a little flaring here and there will do him good.

He flared for a second when I put the other fish in but quickly lost interest. The only way I have been able to get him to flare is by a small mirror. He does look so much more healthy/happy when he is flaring, just b/c his fins fan out SO much:) I will make sure to not do it a lot though.

Quote:
He would appreciate more plant cover. Vallisneria is a good choice because it grows in most lights and you can usually get a lot of it for pretty cheap. I got 20+ corkscrew vals off aquabid.com for around $20, including shipping. Floating plants are also appreciated.

Thank you for the reccomendation!! I have been looking at adding more plants but was unsure which one's to get. I don't want the one's that take over or get huge and yes I only have a 15Watt light that came in the hood. I will try and get some Vallisneria then.Wink

Quote:
The Ludwigia in your tank could grow in and provide more cover, but if you have the stock lighting that came with your tank, chances are it's not going to grow very quickly.

Ludwigia!! I am so glad that you said that, I could not remember what the name of that plant was!! Do you happen to know what the name of the one plant that is by the annubias is???

Quote:
Bettas also love tannin stained water so a bit of mopani driftwood to stain the water brownish would be appreciated. Alternatively, you could order some Indian Almond Leaves. They are almost always available on Aquabid or ebay.

There is one piece of Mopani wood in there already, but I boiled it first since the LFS guy said the tannins would make my tank SUPER tea colored.
Quote:
Oh, and I couldn't tell from the pics/video, but make sure the rhizome of that anubias plant in the middle isn't buried or it will die. I generally attach rhizome plants like anubias to driftwood/rocks in my tanks with a bit of thread, and by the time the thread rots, the plant has rooted itself to the decor.

The anubias rhizome is sitting under the Mopani wood, not with string but the rhizome was long enough that I threaded some of the root through slots in the wood and then just set the wood ontop of it. I hope that it will work that way.
Thank you for your input,
P
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I was concentrating so hard on the anubias I didn't see the wood!

Does the plant by the anubias have a rhizome as well? If so, it looks to be windlov java fern to me...

Since you'll be doing weekly water changes, your water won't get too much of a chance to get too dark. The Betta does appreciate darker water, though, even if we like a crystal clear tank. Smile

Here are my old betta setups: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=53507&highlight=betta The shovel shaped lower ground plants are crypts, which is another great choice for low light tanks. The plant that's dying and losing its needles is hornwart (I wouldn't recommend that one, LOL).

You can see how dark my tanks were. I had both tannin-leeching mopani wood and indian almond leaves. The bettas all did fantastic.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other plant on the mopani wood does not have a rhizome. The guy said to just try and stick it into a slit in the wood and that it would eventually root to it or send roots into the substrate. He did say it might look like it's dying by turning brown but NOT to pull of the brown parts b/c they would turn into the roots.? I will see if he is working today when I take back the danios and cory's. He seemed to know a LOT more than the guy who sold me the danios and said they were tetras!! I will be getting more plants today too.
I REALLY wish I could keep the cory's, they are so interactive with people just like the betta! I will really miss them Crying or Very sad Maybe I will get another tank with cory's in the future. I will let you know which plants and fish I add.
Paisley
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. the rhizome on a windelov java doesn't look exactly like the rhizome on anubias... and since you were told to stick it on driftwood I still think that's likely what it is:

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,394.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvrbaPjqkQyVxybJyal7fcl_-Cg2hE6y_nDz0PdVmveBQ97ZbSt0NNWUGt_Q
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes by those photos that you posted I would say that is what it is:)
Thanks!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: