Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf gouramis tend to be quite unhealthy but it isn't impossible to find a healthy fish. Females are rare and males are territorial so only one is advisable.

Glofish are the same species as zebra danios, just genetically altered. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 4 foot tank.

Nerite snails are great algae eaters and cannot reproduces in freshwater.

I've never kept shrimp (sorry about my last post, when you said you'd put shrimp in the tank I thought you meant live ones, lol) but I believe they do best in planted tanks (can't remember if yours is planted) and some fish see them as snacks.

Even the smallest pleco species has a very high bioload so it will limit your stocking options. Something to keep in mind. A 20g is going to fill up fast with a plec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon?? Thanks for your response. What is it about tetra's that people don't recomend for starter community tanks? Is it something about the pH? Mine runs around 6.8-7.2 generally in the 6's range. will Platy's and rasboras get along okay? Wanted some type of fish that would spend more time around bottom part of tank. I have a tall 20 gallon. Want to fill each level and not have all fish that hang around at top of tank. That's my goal. All the fish I thought would work now sounds like they won't work due to size or what ever reason. So now I'm back to square one. So for the 20 gallon, Danio's, white Cloud Minnows and Blue Gourami's and Mollies are out. What do you suggest I put in there? How many guppies can I put in 10 Gallon tank? 1 male and 4 Females? Can you have more than 1 male? Confused Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ten gallon tank get five male guppies, no females.

For the 20g I would look at black neon tetras or cherry barbs for the lower level. Then harlequin rasboras or beacon tetras for the upper levels. Five of each will give an active tank and you can add another species or a feature fish later. No swordtails or mollies. Platies would be OK.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIADEMHILL: I like the black neon tetras and cherry barbs. Will have to look up beacon tetra's. Thanks for the input.
Is there some kind of disease that causes dark spots on fishes body. Look like a small spot the size of a scale. I looked at the goldfish after they died and did notice 3 little spots on 1 gold fish and 2 small almost dot size on 2nd goldfish. Is there a disease that looks like this that is apparently contagious? If so what do I do about tank? Is there a treatment ? Would it kill off all BB? I just can't see any real reason for fish to die like that. I had 3 fancy guppies in there at one point and am wondering if they contaminated the tank, then when I put those 2 goldfish in there, they died pretty sudden. I didn't really look at guppies. I was looking for white spots or patches, but have not seen any white fungus or ich. I've seen white fungus before on one of my Oscars and he eventually died from it, but was able to save my other Oscar by treating tank, but the treatment killed my cycle. I got cycle back and like I said other Oscar survived fine. Did not catch the fungus. But the goldfish had almost black spots on them. My water parameters are good so that's what is making me think of disease.Again goldfish showed no usual outward signs. Spots were there after I removed bodies and I know remember seeing those spots. Surely don't want to stock tank if it's got some contagious or deadly disease in it. I have never had so much trouble keeping fish alive. My Betta in a seperate tank is about 5-6 months old and is doing well. I'm getting discouraged, but would like to find an answer why fish in 10 gallon tank keep dying.I may be grasping at straws here, but thought I would ask. Thanks.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black marks are often ammonia poisoning/burns.
A spike can occur and you can miss it which is why I tell people to test by challenging the bacteria with extra ammonia once they think the cycle is complete - it often isn't.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ammonia spike? when doing testing twice a day. I did what you recommended by using 2 dead shrimps for an ammonia load. I've called drug stores and hardware stores, being that I live in a small town, no one seems to have or even heard of straight ammonia with no sudsing agents in them. Do you have any ideas where I can find straight ammonia? I don't know if I should strip tanks and clean and , start over again or just give it up. I test my water that goes in tanks, I test tanks up to 2 x's a day, do w/c's up to 2 a day. I don't know what else to do. These small tanks are harder to manage. Not sure what to do next. Sad Question
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have they been cycling now? Is there anything in the tank, gravel, plants, lights heater etc? I know that when I bumped the heat up in my tank to 84-86* (I had NO fish or plants in the tank though) it sped things up. Also, I had the eco-complete gravel in the tank and it has some added bacteria and conditioners. If you have a heater I would say up the temp if there are only dead shrimp in there. If I am not mistaken, I think that it takes a while longer to cycle a tank with something dead than with straight ammonia.? I know you said you looked for the ammonia, did you have an ACE Hardware store anywhere near you? I too live in a small town and had an extremely hard time finding it but ACE Hardware carries it and I drove one town over (20min) and found it:)
Paisley
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)10:07    Post subject: pAISLEY Reply with quote

Tanks are cycled. Nitrates 20-30, Nitrites 0, ammonia 0, pH 6.8. Been cycled about a week. I've been testing or doing water changes twicw a day because the nitrates would go up a little with fish and porbably left over food. Trying to keep debris out or at least down to a minimum. After w/c's the water tests good including nitrates. Got extra filtration on both tanks and appently the BB is suffiient to handle ammonia, As it continues to read 0. So why are fish still dying?
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am not sure why they are dying. Question Do you have live plants in the tank right now? And is there a heater in there right now? What is the tank temp?
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.11(Sun)16:19    Post subject: paisley Reply with quote

No, I don't have any plants in there. I have started some in a seperate tank, but until water or whatever the problem is, I don't want to put them in tanks as they are very vulnerable to water conditions. Also the temp is a steady 76 degrees (F). I don't have a heater in there right now because the temp is not flucuating. I check water temp when I do w/c's also. There are no drafts or direct sinlight on either tank. The 10 gallon some times will go to 77 F, but usually syaus at 74. I've got glass floating type thermometers attached to walls.
As for planys, for less maintenance, I want to replant them in seperate pots that I can sink in gravel in tank. That way it will be easier to take care of them or remove them if need be.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: