Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betta has his own home and will be giving goldfish to a friend. I read up on them and realized I don't have the space for them. Plus they are very dirty. Just wanted something hardy to help finish cycling. Had 1 in 10 gall and 1 in 20 gallon, but had to put them both in 10 gallon because nitrites got too high and fish looked agitated. Didn't want him to suffer so I put him in the healthier tank. He's calmed right down and swimming well, lookiing good and eating good too. Read up on gold fish and decided they would be better with a friend who has goldfish and they would be better off with him. Forgot, I don't have proper substrait for cories. That was a thought at one time. I have a written plan on stocking both tanks and have gone over with friend at LFS. Have a good plan set up. I'll check with him as to which I should add first. Thanks for caring enough to make sure I don't do the fish wrong. Don't want to do that. Smile
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it going Jacki?? Are they both cycled now? I just did my first water change since adding the fish and will test the parameters in about 2 hours and see how they are. They weren't bad before the change other than the pH was high at 7.8. Maybe the w/c will drop it a bit.? I have added more than just the betta too so I wanted to make sure and do a water change since there are now 7 fish total:) 5 small rasboras, 2 cories, and the betta. Everyone seems to be doing great.
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)18:12    Post subject: Paisley Reply with quote

Sounds like your off and running. Both my 10 and 20 gallon are cycled finally. Been checking on a daily basis and both were doing well. A friend came over almost a week ago and brought me 2 feeder goldfish knowing that my tanks were cucled and been stable for a couple of day. I checked bot tanks this am and ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates were between 20-40. Temp put 2 small goldfish in 10 gall tank as nitrates were a little lower. I have been enjoing goldfish and made arrangements with a friend to take goldfish in a while as they will get to big for me. I fed them at lunchtime and all was well. I came home an hour or do later and 1 goldfish was dead. 2nd seemed fine. I immediatly removed dead fish and tested water again. Ammonia and nitrites still 0 but nitrates had climbed to 40-50 range. Quickly did a 50% w/c but shortly there after 2nd goldfish died.Can't believe that nitrates jumped from 20 at 8am to 40-50 range in a matter of 4 hours and that fish died so quickly.Wanted to buy 3 mor fish, but fortunatly for me the store had an Ich breakout and would not sell any fish until they had thier problems solved. So I didn't get any fish. I did w/c's and will retest my water here in a few minutes. These small tanks can turn in a heartbeat. I'm used to the 55 gallon or bigger that are a bit easier to maintain. Feel bad about goldfish, they were doing so good. Crying or Very sad Sad
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)18:27    Post subject: diademhill Reply with quote

Diadenhill, How long would you suggest I wait before adding any fish to newly cycled tanks? My nitrates got high, but nitrites and ammonia are still o. I'll be doing w/c to get nitrates down. Then do I keep shrimp in for ammonia to feed BB while waiting to get fish? I know you said to wait a week or so between adding more fish, but How lond til I add First fish. High nitrates happened quickly, in a matter of hours and got high enough to kill goldfish in a matter of an hour or so. They were swimming fine, ate at lunchtime and were both dead by 2pm. Could Nitrates kill that quickly. When tested this am they were 20 and 30ish. By shortly afternoon they jumped to 40-50 range. Fish went down fast.in less than 2 hours. Could it have been some thing else? I looked over fish bodies and saw no outward reason for quick death. No white spots, no red streaks around gills etc. Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.09(Fri)5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You add fish straight after the 100% water change to get rid of nitrates and any remaining shrimp or ammonia source.

In practice this means you do the water change and then go to the store.

It is a good idea to start with low stocking. The only exceptions are for territorial fish that need adding at the same time and these are usually not kept by novices.
The reason that novices need more leeway is that they may not see the first signs of a problem and it is too late to resolve by the time they do realise something is wrong.
If you think of the cliche goldfish in a bowl saying "Bob" - an experienced fish keeper sees ammonia poisoning.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.09(Fri)6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I was amazed at how fast the water conditions can change. Is it practical to test water twice? Especially in the 10 gallon tank. I've seen the effects of ammonia and nitrites but fish showed no apperant signs of hiigh nitrates. One moment they are swimming gently and "normally", not laying on bottom, not agitated not at surface gasping for air, not rubbing against gravel or decorations. Eating voraciously. Then 2 or so hours later it's too late. I have done 1 w/c in both tanks this am and will do possibly a 2nd in 10 gallon. I've gotten a smaller gravel vac to get into small places to be sure to pick up food particless as well as any poo. Hopefully this will keep tanks as clean as possible. We got a lot of rain last night and I was able to catch a lot of water. I have ordered the product you feccommended to put minerals into bottled water. Getting all my ducks in a row as to give fish best life possible. I really enjoy the hobby abd take it seriuosly.Thanks again
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.09(Fri)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 2 water changes in both tanks today and have nitrates back between 20-30. Going to put shrimp back in and let yanks run and try to keep them healthy and balanced for a while yet. Going to put fancy guppies in 10 gallon eventually.Might keep a pair of black mollies in there too. Have to learn more about thier requirements. Planning 20 gallon as more of a community tank. Like Danio's and maybe some rasboroas. Again still studiying.
What would be godd in 20 gallon tank for an algae eater /tank cleaner in the community tank. Using gravel substrait. Don't think that is good for cory's Any ideas any one?
Any ideas welcome.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.09(Fri)22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any fish in there or just shrimp? Shrimp will not be enough to keep much of the bacterial alive...

Algae eaters and cleaner fish are not required. If you like a particular species, see if its a good fit for your tank but don't buy them strictly as a cleaning crew. Don't overfeed and there will be no leftover food to clean up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean dead shrimp as an ammonia source? If so this will keep the bacteria alive until you stock.
Guppies are fine in a 10 gallon. Black mollies grow too large.
I would not have danios in the 20 -they are very active and can stress other fish.
Rasboras range from under an inch to nearly a foot long so you neded to check which species. If you see a fish in store please don't buy it, write the name down, and come here an ask about it.

Cleaners don't! Keep fish because you like them and not to do a mythical job.
If you want to see fish poop look in any tank with a large pleco.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input. When I had zebra danio's in 10 gallon you said they should be in 20 gallon. So should I forget about having them at all? I like them and was hoping to put them in 20. I'll look more closly at diffrent types of ras's and what about Platy's. As for an algae eater, I do like the small (very) pleco. I had a 9" common Pleco in a 55 gallon tank so I know what you mean about poo. I don't expect them to keep tank sparkling clean, but I do like them and I know that they would need supplemental foods. I also wondered about snails or shrimp. I gather ghost shrimp may or may not be a good idea, but that Cherry shrimp might work? Would Swordtails be able to keep up with Danio's as far as activity levels go? I just mention because of thier body shape. Another thought was gourami's. I know not a giant Gourami. What is the truth about Dwarf Gourami disease? Is that a real problem or what. Seen diffrent sides to that story. Only other fish for 20 I thought of would be glofish, again I mention due to body shape. What would be good tank mates for Danio's? That's what I need to know. Just going to check water and see how I'm doing today. Thanks !
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: