Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 shrimp and ammonia is 0 and nitrates are running around 20. Would that show that I have a good BB amount. I should just let it run and not do w/c's to bring down Nitrites like Paisley did and I did in 10 gallon tank. I'm to just let it run and not mess with it still Confused ?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead shrimp?
Let it run and watch for rising nitrates.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nitrates were up at one time and are now coming down to 20-40 range. Isn't that what it's supposed to do?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got plants?
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to grow some in a seperate tank. But was under the inpression that they couldn't live in bad water conditions. I'm still faily new to doinf this the right way. I though plants would complicate things. I have heard that plants can help with Nitrites but I don't have the right substrate for the plants. Thought about buying some in little pots and sinking the pots in some gravel, but keep them in the pots for easier maintenance. Do you think that would help and how many plants and what about a floating type like Sprite. That goes like a weed for me.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrate can be removed by plants or algae but shouldn't come down in a cycling tank without plants or water changes.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tested water. Nitrites came down from 2.0 to a solid 0!!!!!! also Nitrates are 20 and ammonia is 0. Wi keep an eye on for a few days, but believe tank has cycled.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
just tested water. Nitrites came down from 2.0 to a solid 0!!!!!! also Nitrates are 20 and ammonia is 0. Wi keep an eye on for a few days, but believe tank has cycled.

YAY sounds good. So happy for you, keep us posted!!!
Congrats!
Paisley
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing tHANK YOU pAISLEY, yOUR IDEA WORKED IN BOTH TANKS. tHE 10 GALLON NOW HAS TWO GOLDFISHES IN IT AND THEY ARE DOING WELL. tHE TRACE AMOUNTS OF NITRITES ARE NOW GONE TOO. nITRATES ARE 30 AND AMMONIA IS 0. bEEN DOING DAILY W/C'S OF AT LEAST 60%. wATER LOOKS CLEAR. I'VE WRITTEN DOWN WHAT YOU HAD DONE SO NEXT TIME I NEED TO CYCLE A TANK, IT WON'T BE SO BAD OR SO SLOW. tHANKS AND HOPE YOUE BETTA IS DOING BETTER. dON'T KNOW WHY HIS FINS WOULD STILL BE CLAMPED WITH WATER TESTS BEING WHAT THEY ARE. yOU WOULD THINK AFTER A COUPLE DAYS AFTER THE MOVE HE WOULD SETTLE IN. mAYBE THE ADITIONAL FISH WILL HELP. hE NEEDS LOTS OF HIDING PLACES TO GET AWAY FROM THE OTHER IF HE NEEDS TOO. wE SHOULD STAY IN TOUCH AND DO PROGRESS REPORTS. iF 20 GALLON STAYS STABLE, WANT TO PUT IN 3 dANIO'S, OR CORY'S OR MAYBE LOACHES. wHICHEVER IS THE HARDIEST. wON'T DUMP A BUNCH IN ALL AT ONCE, BUT WITH SCHOOLING FISH, DON'T WANT TO DO ANY LESS THAN 3 AT A TIME. eSPECIALLY THE FIRST INHABITANTS. hAVE TO GET MY NOTES ON MY PLAN FOR A COMMUNITY TANK. tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
Laughing tHANK YOU pAISLEY, yOUR IDEA WORKED IN BOTH TANKS. tHE 10 GALLON NOW HAS TWO GOLDFISHES IN IT AND THEY ARE DOING WELL. tHE TRACE AMOUNTS OF NITRITES ARE NOW GONE TOO. nITRATES ARE 30 AND AMMONIA IS 0. bEEN DOING DAILY W/C'S OF AT LEAST 60%. wATER LOOKS CLEAR. I'VE WRITTEN DOWN WHAT YOU HAD DONE SO NEXT TIME I NEED TO CYCLE A TANK, IT WON'T BE SO BAD OR SO SLOW. tHANKS AND HOPE YOUE BETTA IS DOING BETTER. dON'T KNOW WHY HIS FINS WOULD STILL BE CLAMPED WITH WATER TESTS BEING WHAT THEY ARE. yOU WOULD THINK AFTER A COUPLE DAYS AFTER THE MOVE HE WOULD SETTLE IN. mAYBE THE ADITIONAL FISH WILL HELP. hE NEEDS LOTS OF HIDING PLACES TO GET AWAY FROM THE OTHER IF HE NEEDS TOO. wE SHOULD STAY IN TOUCH AND DO PROGRESS REPORTS. iF 20 GALLON STAYS STABLE, WANT TO PUT IN 3 dANIO'S, OR CORY'S OR MAYBE LOACHES. wHICHEVER IS THE HARDIEST. wON'T DUMP A BUNCH IN ALL AT ONCE, BUT WITH SCHOOLING FISH, DON'T WANT TO DO ANY LESS THAN 3 AT A TIME. eSPECIALLY THE FIRST INHABITANTS. hAVE TO GET MY NOTES ON MY PLAN FOR A COMMUNITY TANK. tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Please swap the tanks over. Goldfish need over 20 gallons each and the Betta should be fine in a 10 gallon.

Danios are not a good choice with Bettas and mostr common corys need cooler temperatures.
Please research fish before getting any and keep a few weeks between additions.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: