Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey~
I was able to get my Nitrites to 0ppm but it took more than 3 100% w/c's down to the substrate!!! I was using pure liquid ammonia since there were no fish in the tank. I was able to dose the tank up to 4ppm Ammonia and it would be back to 0ppm Ammonia in 12 hours! So I knew the bacteria were there to convert the Ammonia but it was just taking so long for the Nitrites to convert to Nitrate! The Nitrates are now at 20ppm and I will be keeping my eye on them to make sure and do a w/c the minuet the begin to go over that. I put the betta in and the water parameters are doing OK:) No Nitrite or Ammonia:) Now I am just waiting for a week of testings being normal and then I am going to add 2 other fish to the tank slowly of course. I added the betta on 2/27 so I am glad the water is okay. Hopefully your tanks finish soon...keep us posted and good luck!
Paisley
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 2 sheimp in both tanks and nitrates are good and ammoi\nia is 0, but I may go ahead and do more 100% water changes. How's the Betta looking? Been told I'm in the home streach. Maybe another 1-2 weeks till I can add a fish or 2. Glad to hear you made it. Keep me posted if your water stays clean. I'll follow your path. Thanks for sharing your sucess. I am getting lots of rain water. Now if I can dodge tornados in area.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betta still has his fins clamped down even though he's been in the tank since 2/27. He is swimming around just fine but he still isn't fanning those pretty blue fins Sad The pH in the tank is 7.8 though and I wonder if that is high for him or just right?? It was only 6.8 when I added him. Not sure why the pH jumped or if that is supposed to happen when you add a fish? I did find one dead plant and took it out so maybe that was the problem. The Nitrites are still 0ppm and the Nitrates 10-20ppm, seems good Smile
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paisley, Sounds good for Betta. Hopefully he wikk Glad he's doing better. With time maybe his fins will open up. Now maybe my tanks will finish cyclying soon. Jeep in touch.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)20:58    Post subject: Paisley Reply with quote

Before your nitrites went to 0, did they spike again? I did 100% w/c yesterday and today and nitrites went from 2.0 to now 5.0. Am I on right track. In my 10 gallon, they are falling. Down to .25-.50. No spike, just started to go down.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.04(Sun)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nitrites did not spike again, however, when I did the 100%w/c they remained at 2ppm so I did another 100%w/c within a 6 hour period. So 2 100%w/c's an hour or so apart and then they went to 0ppm and stayed there since Very Happy That is when I put the betta in and they are still at 0ppm Wink Hopefully it stays that way for a loooong time!! Have you done 2 100% w/c in the same day yet? If not I would do that as long as your tank is processing the ammonia quickly, but you could always wait if your not in a hurry. Keep us posted and hang in there:)
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)7:17    Post subject: Paisley Reply with quote

Been doing w/c's 1 per day. My 10 gallon is way down from 5.0 to less than .25. But 20 gallon started to go down, but have climbed to 5.0 today. Got an appt this morning. When I get back, I've got to do 25% in Betta tank for ammonia. Just a trace amount. 25% in 10 gallon tank as nitrites are less than .25 and 100% in 20 gallon tank. Think I'll do a 2nd 100% change again a couple hours later. My ammonia on both empty tanks are staying at 0 and nitrates are within good limits around 20. Think you found the answer. Has your Betta settled in and unclamped his fins. Is he a happy fish yet? What size is he in? Are you going to keep him in tank alone, or are you going to get a couple females or other fish to make a community tank. My 10 gallon is for guppies and the 20 will be a small community tank.
Glad your numbers are staying down. I added 2nd shrimp over weekend and still 0 on ammonia. Looks like I got a good bacteria count of BB.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has your Betta settled in and unclamped his fins
Yes my betta has settled in but he never did unclamp his fins Sad I thought maybe it was the pH at 7.8 being too high for him but have decided that it is too risky to tinker with it at this point. He is eating great, swimming around great but still clamped.

Quote:
What size is he in? Are you going to keep him in tank alone, or are you going to get a couple females or other fish to make a community tank.

He is in a 10 gallon, my first aquarium ever!! Yesterday, we added 2 pepper corys and 2 neon glofish (which I thought were a Tetra but was told now they are a danio) they are all doing fine as of now. I am testing the water 2 times a day and haven't seen ANY changes yet:) I added them yesterday at 2pmish. Hopefully everything goes okay. I posted in another thread and was told that the glofish need more than a group of 2 and that the cory's may get to be 3". Right now the corys are 1.5" so maybe I won't add anymore to this tank. Although I might have to get one more neon glowfish just so there are more than 2 as diademill suggested.

Well let me know how the w/c affect your Nitrites:)
P
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)17:38    Post subject: Paisley Reply with quote

10 Gallon is good. Nitrites are 0-.25 before major w/c tonight. will test in am and do another w/c in am and possibly another change in afternoon.

Still having trouble with 20 gallon. Just finished 2nd 100% w/c. will test again in am and do it all again. Nitrites are down from 5.0 to 2.0. Still too high.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the 20 gallon another week.
If you remove all the nitrites the bacteria won't breed.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: