Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't start right tTetra?

I trialled this when it first came out and it was useless, in fact worse than useless as it help over the ammonia part and then nitrites walloped in. The ammonia was not available to the bacteria so the tanks crashed at about a month in.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)4:38    Post subject: Nitrites Reply with quote

It's API's Quick Start. I just put 1 dose in 10 gallon tank as this is the one that I've been trying to cycle since December. Was thinking it was stalled.
Since 20 gallon is stuck with Nitrites between 1.0-2.0, is same thing going on here? Sodium Bicarb changed pH from 6.0, 6.2 to 7.4, 7.6, but I still have to give it another 2 weeks? I put in fresh dead shrimp about 5 days ago, but it hasn't changed ammonia reading at all. It's still 0 and has been for a week . It was 0 before I put shrimp in, was using flake food before. Now Nitrates are down to 20-30, but nothing else is happening. I don't remember this taking so long especially when I seeded the filter with good healthy media.20 Gallon was doing good, but seems stalled now too.I'll keep waiting, but getting frustrated.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the products for "quick cycling" do nothing. There was one on the market that was refrigerated and therefore worked, but it was touch and go because if it had been in the fridge at the LFS too long or if it was kept at room temperature for any length of time (during shipping, etc.), the bacteria would die and the product would be worthless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see those products all over. How can they sell them if there no good. What a waste of money. Will this API product at least help bring down Nitrites? It says it does. I thought API was a good company. Thyer master test kit is highly recommended.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)20:42    Post subject: 3-1-12 update Reply with quote

I left 20 gallon alone and numbers make no sense.
Nitrates 160
Nitrites 1.5
pH 7.0
ammonia 0
I did a 25% w/c to bring down nitrates and now it goes to 160???????

10 gallon
Experimented
Added 1 capful API qick start to see if it would bring down nitrites, it didn't do a thing

Nitrates 40
Nitrites 1.5
pH 7.2
ammonia 0

I'm about ready to pack it in on both tanks. I also did w/c on 10 gallon.

I'm going to let them run untouched and test next week. I've gone thru one master test kit and still not cycled, either one. Mad Confused Question Question
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)2:30    Post subject: Re: 3-1-12 update Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
I left 20 gallon alone and numbers make no sense.
Nitrates 160
Nitrites 1.5
pH 7.0
ammonia 0
I did a 25% w/c to bring down nitrates and now it goes to 160???????

Sounds like the ammonia processing bacteria are doing their job and the bacteria that process the nitrites are hard at work but not enough of them yet to keep up with turning nitrites > nitrate.
Add a teaspoon of bicarb weekly and this cycle is on the final stages.

Quote:
10 gallon
Experimented
Added 1 capful API qick start to see if it would bring down nitrites, it didn't do a thing

Nitrates 40
Nitrites 1.5
pH 7.2
ammonia 0

The bottles don't change readings. They may alter the properties of the ammonia form so fish are slightly less harmed but if nitrates are increasing you already have the correct bacteria and need to give them time & food to multiply. Bicarb as before and keep the dead shrimps in.

In a week you should see a change. In fact I only use nitrite tests when monitoring a shrimp fed fishless cycle. If you can see shrimp in the bag you know ammonia is present and it is the nitrite spike you have to monitor. For soft water I add bicarb routinely.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)8:18    Post subject: high nitrites Reply with quote

I don't routinly use tap water as it does have some ammonia in it about 0- .5. So I use spring fed drinking bottled water along with tested rainwater that has no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I have put in 2 doses of bicarbonate for past 2 weeks.
Like I said I will just let these run, You say cycle is almost complete. Finally.

Should I do w/c to bring down nitrates og 160 in 20 gallon tank. Or is that part of the cycling process.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're adding something to the bottled water to put the necessary minerals, etc. back in, I would imagine you would have a very unstable tank that is not very suitable for fish. Also could explain why you're having difficulty with the cycle... generally what's bad for fish is also bad for your beneficial bacteria.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)10:31    Post subject: high nitrites Reply with quote

I am using spring water that has sodium bicarbonite and calcium chloride. I was given the info to buy Kent r/o Right water conditioner. I'll go ahead a order it and add it according to instructions on bottle. This has calcium, sodium,potassium, magnesium. Is free of phosphates and nitrate-free.. Hopefully this will put in what the fish need. Thanks for letting me know for sure that I need this.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: