Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no filter on my betta, he is currently in a 2Liter cube. The only reason I started doing 100% w/c was b/c he was super sick and I was worried that the cube was infected with whatever it was and I was treating him with antibiotic as well. I will keep some water in the cube it is just SO small that I would worry about ammonia build up since in 24hrs it was already at .50ppm in the tiny cube! He used to have his fins all spread out and now they are SUPER clamped and he swims around in very JERKY motions Crying or Very sad I hope he gets better soon and the tank finishes fast!
Paisley
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:17    Post subject: Re: nITRITES/PAISLEY Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
kEEP ABOUT 1/3 TO 1/4 OLD TANK WATER. IT WILL BE DILUTED BY NEW WATER. IT HAS SOME BACTERIA FROM HIS WASTE THET HE NEEDS.

There is very, very little beneficial bacteria in the water column. Most is in the filter, some is in the substrate.

Quote:
I ADDED NEW DEAD SHRIMP TO BOTH TANKS YESTERDAY AND DID THE SODA THING AGAIN TODAY.

Wait... do you have a betta in a tank along with a dead shrimp??? If so, please remove the betta immediately! You are subjecting him to very high levels of ammonia and nitrite and that is NOT good no matter how well he seems to tolerate it. You either do a fishLESS cycle or a cycle with fish: you can't use a fishless cycle (adding a dead shrimp, lots of fish food, or pure ammonia) with a fish in the tank. With a fish in cycle, the fish provides your ammonia source and you do waterchanges throughout so you don't subject him to the torture of high ammonia or nitrites. Still, there is some measure of stress/pain that the fish will experience in a fish-in cycle.

Quote:
I DID CHANGE OUT 1 PIECE OVER THE WEEKEND AS IT WAS FILTHY AND GETTING CLOGGED. GOING TO HAVE TO DO SAME TO OTHER SIDE OF FILTER IN A FEW DAYS. DON'T WANT TO DISTURB TOO MUCH OF GOOD BACTERIA.

If your media gets too clogged, simply rinse it in some old tank water or dechlorinated tap water of around the same temperature as the tank. This will leave many of the beneficial bacteria in tact and clean off the "gunk."

Last edited by nikelodeon79 on 2012.02.27(Mon)16:18; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:18    Post subject: betta Reply with quote

that is the problem with those litttle cubes. if some thing happens it happens quick. If you could get him healthy, he very well could survive the nitrites in the larger tanks. I have mine in a 1 1/2 gallon tank wbich is a bit bigger than your cube and my betta survived his cycly. they are tough litttle fish. He would be better off in a bigger tank. I'll be testing either tomorrow night or the next morning. will keep on posting here.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Betta is in a tank of his own and has been for several months. I added a filter in his tank in dec and did a cycle with him, but he's doing fine. I take good care of my bettas and he's cycled and doing well.

the dead shrimp are in a fishless 10 and 20 gallon tanks. having trouble getting Nitrites down. 10 gall has been cycling since nid dec and has as os today 50-60 nitrates, 2.0 nitrites, 7.2 pH and 0 ammonia. been thru ammonia spike and then nitrite spike. came down but then spiked again and am having trouble bringing it down again. It was as high as 5.0, so it was coming down , but now stuck at 2.9.

in 20 gallon tank nitrates are 20, nitrites 2.0, pH 7.4 and ammonia 0. again nitrites spiked a 2nd time and are kind of stalled around 2.0.. this tank has only been cycling since 4 weeks ago, but had healthy media to seed filter with. The one piece of media I threw out was a carbon filter. I still have 1 more carbon and 4 other fibre/floss type. Plus what is in gravel and on decor.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickelodeon79, He does not have a filter in his sick bettas cube. He's having high nitrites also while thrying to cycle a bigger tank for his Betta.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
Nickelodeon79, He does not have a filter in his sick bettas cube. He's having high nitrites also while thrying to cycle a bigger tank for his Betta.

Yes, I know. I am responding on the other thread.

Small, filterless tanks need to have 100% water changes done on them because they will not cycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I aplogize. I don't know enough about one that small. Just passing on what I used to do when I didn't use filters in small Betta tanks. But mine are bigger than those cubes.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.28(Tue)18:02    Post subject: Paisley/Nitrites Reply with quote

PROGRESS in 20 gallon tank.
todays readings
Nitrates 40
Nitrites .5
pH 6.8
ammonia 0

I put in that shrimp 2 days ago and added another spoonful of sodium bicarbonate yesterday. Tested tonight and it's getting better. I had also taken out a carbon filter. Just 1 of 2 cause it was clogged up and rinsing wasn't helping. and today it started changing for the better. Going to let it run another day and retest. Hopefully it's getting to where I can add 2-3 small fish. Want to be sure Nitrites stay down as don't want to hurt fish. I've waited this long, I can wait a few more days.

How's yours going? Any progress. Are you using shrimp or ammonia? I like the shrimp better. It may be a little slower but seems to be a little easier to control the nitrites and nitrates. Notice my pH is down also.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.29(Wed)18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old friend of mine used to own a fish store suggested 1 capful of API Start Right and then add 1 golfish or Betta. That should balance everything out quickly and API stuff won't let fish suffer. This API stuff removes ammonia and nitrites and adds good bacteria. He's been following me on this cycling. So I did 25% water change and added 5ml for 10 gallons. Will get a fish either tomorrow or friday. Will test water tomorrow after todays w/c and Start Right. Make sure water will support a fish. Tested tonight before w/c and ammonia still 0, nitrates 20 and nitrites 1.0. Hoping Start Right will bring down nitrites so I can put a fish in there. And I will take out dead fish. Don't know what else to do. This 10 gallon tank has been running now for almost 3 months.
20 gallon doing OK, but nitrites jumped back up to 2.0.
Any other ideas welcomed! Confused Question
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Start Right is API? All I'm pulling up is Jungle Labs brand.

It looks like it works just like a regular water conditioner - not sure it will do anything extra.

I still think you are being impatient - if you have doubled the prawns in the tank, of course there is more waste being generated. I'm guessing it will take a week or two from when you first dosed the bicarb for the tank to fully cycle. Remember the period where you were lacking bicarb is basically the tank sitting in stasis - you think it's progressing but it's really just sitting there.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: