Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High Nitrites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.22(Wed)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested both tanks using 5 in 1 test strips,
Results for 10 gallon
hardness 25
alk 180
pH 7.6
nitrites 10+
nitrates 40

20 gallon tank
hardness 25
alk 140
pH 7.2
nitrites 5.0
nitrates 40

Don't really trust strips, but that's all I had to check hardness and alkalinity

Already added sodium bicarb. few hours before testing
Will just let tanks run until cycling is complete. Getting there slowly.
Any other comments would be welcome, Thanks
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.23(Thu)2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would challenge with a dead shrimp rather than risk a spike with fish. You need to do huge water change before adding fish;down to the substrate.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.23(Thu)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, will do, but not clear in what order? w/C 1st or add new shrimp first? Sorry for not understanding. I'm still new at this small tank stuff.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.25(Sat)15:49    Post subject: high nitrites Reply with quote

Todays update. went ahead and did complete w/c's in both 10 gall and 20 gall all the way down to substrate. Added new dead shrimp to each tank and added sodium bicarbonate to both tanks. Been testing water. todays readings

10 gallon
nitrates 20
nitrites 1.0
pH 7.2
hardness 75
ammonia 0

20 gallon
mitrates 30
nitrites 2.0
pH 6.8
hardness 75
ammonia 0

I can't figure wwhy Nitrites won't come down and stay down. In 20 gall, they started to come down to .50 but then jumped back up to 2.0.

All other parameters are doing well. Whenn added new dead shrimp ammonia didn't rise and nitrates did a little for a day then settles back to normal range. Cycle seems to be working, but I know I can't put fish in while Nitrites are so high.

Any body have any idea why they won't come down.
Tap water does have .50 ammonia and I did use 2.5 gallons in 20 gallon tank cause I ran short of bottled water. Didn't realy phase the tank.
Confused Sad Sad Confused
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.25(Sat)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience...it was 5 ppm a few days ago so it looks like it is coming down slowly.

You probably just spiked the ammonia a bit more than the bacteria could handle with the tap water plus additional shrimp.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.25(Sat)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Tested expecting ammonia to spike, but only went up to about .25. Must be working well. Thanks, I'll just let it run for a while. Didn't realize fishless cycling took so long.
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.26(Sun)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey~
I am in the fishless cycle and having the EXACT same problem as you! So glad I read through the forum and saw this since it was my exact question:) How long did it take for you Nitrites to come down after adding the sodium bicarbonate?? I just now (after reading this) added 1 1/2tsp. to my 10 gallon and am hoping that the Nitrites will fall soon so that I can put my poor beta in there...I just hope I can keep him alive long enough! He isn't looking to hot in his tiny living space. I am worried about putting him in the tank once it cycles since he seems sick. Do you know if he would contaminate the whole tank if I put him in while sick?? I won't have any other fish in there (since I don't yet own anymore) just plants but would be super upset if for some reason the tank crashed b/c he was sick and I had to start all over again!!
Hope your tank is done soon:)
Paisley
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)8:19    Post subject: Nitrites/Paisley Reply with quote

Wish I had better news for you. Just got done testing tanks

Nitrites in 10 gallon is 2.0

Nitrites in 20 gallon is 2.0

They are coming down but seems to have stallled as 2.0 for past 3-4 days. Going to try to add sodium bicarbonate again to see if it will get them moving down again. Other than that, I guess all I can do is wait.
I put a dead shrimp in both tanks a couple of days ago to cause ammonia to feed BB. My ammonia is reading 0 in both tanks and 20 gallon nitrates are at 20.
The 10 gallon is not as good at 50-60.

Hopefully the SB will kick start the niitrites back into going down some more.
Stay in touch and we'll see if we can't get thru this together.

I also tested my Betta
ammonia 0
nitrites were high at 4.0-5.0. Fish was acting fine, but he's doing even better with a 80% water change. Didn't realoze his nitrites were so high. For me Betta can take a lot. Mine usually lie around 5 yrs with minimal care. If you are going to put him in tank with high nitrites, I would do a large w/c to bring them down. They are toxic to fish. How are nitrates doing. Mine are good in his tank, just nitrites were high. I use bottled spring water and rainwater in his tank as my tap has ammonia up to .50.
He's fine now with big w/c.
jacki
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi~
I added the SB last night at 8:30p and tested this morning at 8:30a and my Nitrites had not changed at all in my cycling 10 gallon:( Super bummed about this!! Do you still have your ammonia source in your tank? I would take it out if you do, since the ammonia going in will just convert to more Nitrite! I have not had any ammonia in my tank since 2/23 and still cannot get my Nitrites under control!!!Sad However, if I don't add more ammonia or a fish soon the good bacteria will die off, so I am at a loss of what to do now. It doesn't make sense to me that I did a 95% water change w/o ANY ammonia in the tank and the Nitrites have not went down at ALL! How can that happen?!?!?! Please keep me updated on what you are going to do/doing and if it works for you. Hopefully we will both be through this soon:) I just hope it finishes soon before my betta dies, he is not doing well. Even with daily 100% w/c's he is not happy:( I have never owned a fish tank before and it is way harder than I thought Confused I do like chemistry though but not when you can't manipulate it like you are supposed to be able too Surprised
Paisley
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)15:52    Post subject: nITRITES/PAISLEY Reply with quote

dO YOU HAVE A FILTER ON BETTA? I HAVE ONE ON MINE AND DID A CYCLE WITH HIM IN THERE. HE TOOK IT VERY WELL. aLSO dON'T CHANGE OUT ALL HIS WATER. kEEP ABOUT 1/3 TO 1/4 OLD TANK WATER. IT WILL BE DILUTED BY NEW WATER. IT HAS SOME BACTERIA FROM HIS WASTE THET HE NEEDS.
I ADDED NEW DEAD SHRIMP TO BOTH TANKS YESTERDAY AND DID THE SODA THING AGAIN TODAY. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL JUMP START THIS STALLED CYCLE. YOU HAVE TO KEEP AN AMMONIA SOURCE IN THERE OR YES YOU GOOD BACTERIA WILL DIE, THEN YOU HAVE TO START OVER.
BALANCING THESE TANKS AT THE BEGINNING IS A TRICK AND SOME TIMES SLOW GOING. SOME ONE SAID TO ADD API'S FAST START, BUT THAT ONLY BUILD UP NITRATES IN FILTER, WHICH HELPS BB THEN NITRATES GET FILTERED OUT AND REMOVED IN WATER CHANGES. I'M NOT DOING ANY WATER CHANGES RIGHT NOW. I DID DO A 100% IN BOTH TANKS LAST WEEK, BUT HASN'T REALLY HELPED. MY 20 GALLON IS DOING GOOD WITH NITRATES AT 20, BUT 10 GALLON IS 50-60. I'M JUST GOING TO WAIT A COUPLE MORE DAYS AND TEST AND SEE WHERE I AM THEN, THEN TAKE MORE ACTION. ON MY 20 GALLON I HAVE A TOTAL OF 5 PIECES OF MEDIA FOR BB TO GROW ON. I DID CHANGE OUT 1 PIECE OVER THE WEEKEND AS IT WAS FILTHY AND GETTING CLOGGED. GOING TO HAVE TO DO SAME TO OTHER SIDE OF FILTER IN A FEW DAYS. DON'T WANT TO DISTURB TOO MUCH OF GOOD BACTERIA. HOPING THAT WILL HELP NITRATES COME DOWN. HANG IN THERE, WE'LL GET THERE. EXCUSE LARGE TYPE, I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU. I AM VISUALLY IMPAIRED.
JACKI
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: