Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Died, Do I start new cycle
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)11:02    Post subject: Fish Died, Do I start new cycle Reply with quote

I had posted a new topic called "Need help to tweak my cycle, Fish dying"
Fish died. Most recent water parameters in a 10 gallon tank with a 10-15 gallon Aquatech HOB filter. Also have an airstone for extra aeration and temp stays a steady 78.
Nitrates 30
nitrites .5
pH 6.8
ammonia .30

Been trying to cycle this tank since middle of Dec. Started with some media (scrubbies) from a healthy tank and used Sea Chem Stability to start cycle. I was adding flake food as a source of ammonia.
Last of my starter fish 2 Danio's died last night. He was fine when I went to sleep and dead when I got up.

Should I trhow a shrimp in tank and start to cycle all over. I cleaned tank this am. Didn't touch filter but did add a Whisper 20I filter.
What Next?
Thanks in advance.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would invest in a camping water container and see if you can find a water source from another supply. Is there a tap at a local business that will allow you to get water for a few pennies?
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already buying 5 gallon jugs of Primo drinking water for myself, fish and cats as well is not safe to cosume. I live in country and don't drive due to disabilities, so not easy for me to find other sources of water or be able to go get some.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is your problem.

You would need to add Kent R/O right at the between the softwater & medium water fish level as the water already has a limited range of buffers but lacks trace elements.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water I use has calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and is processed by oxygenation, advanced filtration and r/o technologies.
Is that good? What other minerals and such do they need.
Working with a friend about what to stock the 10 and 20 gallons with later on. 10 gallon will be guppies and small Cories and 20 willl have Danio's, A focal fish in a variety of gourami, again a couple of small cories and possibly Platy's or Maybe 3 mollies. But that's a ways down the road.

What do I do with 10 gallon tank, Do I clean it out completely and start over or can I salvage what I got by frequent w/c's or add a shrimp and let it do it's thing and test to see how it's cycling? I just added that whisper internal filter yesterday, so it's got to cycle that filter now.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water you are using lacks the minerals that the filter and later the fish need.
You need to treat it as if it were R/O water and the Kent R/O right is the simplest way to do this.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a fixed income and when I looked into R/O equipment before, it's pretty pricey. Out of my range any way. Are there supplements or food that could supply what they are not getting from water? Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bottled water is R/O water. It has some minerals added for taste but not enough to keep fish.
The R/0 right is by far the easiest way to make it safe for aquatic life. I didn't price search and you may find it cheaper or even locally.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the long run it would be worth it, but I don't have the money to get the equipment to get this started. Other than aquarium shops, where else could I look. I appreciate all your doing to help me, but I am so limited cash wise. I can check e-bay and amazon, but wondering where else I could look locally.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:49    Post subject: Kent R/O Reply with quote

The hyperlink that diademhill provided you was to a chemical solution ($5).
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: