Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Aquarium
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MidnightsMelody
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.15(Wed)22:47    Post subject: New Aquarium Reply with quote

I am VERY new to all of this fish stuff. I had a very ugly betta for a year which lived in a bowl, until it jumped out of its bowl when I was not home and died Sad . I decided very recently to get a couple goldfish, knowing honestly nothing about goldfish at all. I originally got these very small goldfish and put them in a 5.5 gal tank. Well, I just so happened to be doing a project at school involving fish (the WORST and probably inhumane project my teacher could assign to us) and found out how huge goldfish grow.

Well, I bought a 25 gallon tank which is equipped with a 200 gph filter and a hood/light and has two java ferns attached to a piece of driftwood along with a large fake plant. I have one black pop-eyed goldfish and one fantail goldfish, both about an inch and a half to two inches in length. I have now a bunch of questions and am hoping to get a lot of input.

First, is this set up acceptable? I don't want to get a year or two down the road and realize I really should have bought a 55 gallon tank for these two goldfish. Secondly, can I add anything else to the tank? One of my classmates used a pleco for his project, and so far, it appears that it could work okay with my goldfish, but I would like a better opinion. According to them, it should only grow to a maximum of 4 or 6 inches but they don't recall off hand the breed (they have a card with the breed on it that they are going to give me next class period). Honestly, I want to save it from its misery because it is currently housed in a cut open 2 L soda bottle with a HUGE plant of some sort in there and more algae than I would tend to believe it could eat in a month. I would love to adopt it to save it from its current what I would think of as torturous state, but if it will kill my goldfish, or if my goldfish will kill it, I'd rather rescue it to give it to a tropical fish store. And if it would be acceptable with the goldfish, how do I get enough algae in my tank to grow? I have those two java ferns, but will that be enough in a 25 gallon tank for plants? I would obviously feed it other things and get more driftwood for it, but I want it to be happy. Plus, how many fish can I keep in this tank? My mom really wants me to get a weather loach because it looks cool, can I get one of those and keep it with my goldfish? Would it be okay to get both the loach and the pleco? And finally, what should I be putting in my tank or be doing to it? I put in water conditioner, and I plan on cleaning 25%-33% per week, but should I be testing pH and nitrates and stuff? I have a thermometer on it, but that's it. If anyone can answer ANY of my questions, that would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I am getting very interested in this hobby but I would just love some educated opinions before I proceed. Thank you so much for your answers!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

One goldfish would likely do okay in a 25g but not two. IMO, you'd need at least a 40g for two goldfish.

The pleco is likely a common and therefore has the potential to get very large (a foot or more). Additionally, it's a tropical fish and not suitable to be kept with cold water fish like goldies. I would rescue him and give him to the fish store (heck, they might even give you some store credit).

Does your tank have a filter?

Regarding testing, I would recommend API's master test kit (the liquid one).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take that pleco and give it to your LFS along with your 2 goldfish. Goldfish are just fancy carp, they are dirrrrty as heck, and can get the size of a football!! When you do that, invest in a heater(200w should do just fine) and make sure you have a siphon. Get the heat in the tank up to about 74F. For a beginner, I would suggest a few dwarf gouramis(flame, powder blue, honey(personal fav) are the standard. They will fill in the top, maybe 6-18 neon tetras, a bristlenose pleco(buy hikari algae wafers for his diet) and maybe a small group of weather loaches(2-4). Start with the gouramis, wait a week, get the loaches, wait a week, get the tetras. 20% water changes weekly and you are on the fast track to success. Also, if you keep the goldfish, they will eat all other plants other than your ferns.

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamprice271 wrote:
Take that pleco and give it to your LFS along with your 2 goldfish. Goldfish are just fancy carp, they are dirrrrty as heck, and can get the size of a football!! When you do that, invest in a heater(200w should do just fine) and make sure you have a siphon. Get the heat in the tank up to about 74F. For a beginner, I would suggest a few dwarf gouramis(flame, powder blue, honey(personal fav) are the standard. They will fill in the top, maybe 6-18 neon tetras, a bristlenose pleco(buy hikari algae wafers for his diet) and maybe a small group of weather loaches(2-4). Start with the gouramis, wait a week, get the loaches, wait a week, get the tetras. 20% water changes weekly and you are on the fast track to success. Also, if you keep the goldfish, they will eat all other plants other than your ferns.

Adam

The first part is reasonable advise -the tank is a bit small for even two fancy goldfish but will be OK for a few months.
However the advice about tropicals is poor!
Dwarf gouramis are territorial so only one male per tank and these are very sensitive to nitrites so are not for new tanks.
Neons are lovely but again not the hardiest species. Bristlenoses are nice fish but not to everyone's taste and they can produce poop trails. Weather loaches are coldwater fish that grow to 8" plus and the tank is far too small for them.

Tropicals are easier than goldfish in smaller tanks but poor stocking is poor stocking whatever the temperatures.
Two fancies in a 25 gallon is not ideal but can be managed if you are prepared to do water changes at least weekly. Initially you may be doing daily water changes until the filter bacteria are established.
If the tank looks bare improve the decor rather than adding more fish.
If you look at a softball that is the potential body size of your fish Shocked
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam[/quote]
The first part is reasonable advise -the tank is a bit small for even two fancy goldfish but will be OK for a few months.
However the advice about tropicals is poor!
Dwarf gouramis are territorial so only one male per tank and these are very sensitive to nitrites so are not for new tanks.
Neons are lovely but again not the hardiest species. Bristlenoses are nice fish but not to everyone's taste and they can produce poop trails. Weather loaches are coldwater fish that grow to 8" plus and the tank is far too small for them.

Tropicals are easier than goldfish in smaller tanks but poor stocking is poor stocking whatever the temperatures.
Two fancies in a 25 gallon is not ideal but can be managed if you are prepared to do water changes at least weekly. Initially you may be doing daily water changes until the filter bacteria are established.
If the tank looks bare improve the decor rather than adding more fish.
If you look at a softball that is the potential body size of your fish Shocked[/quote]

I've been doing this for over 15 years, and worked at a great LFS for 5yrs. You need to realize that this tank is already up and running with the fish in there. The cycle is underway, and when the fish are out, new ones can be put in slowly. At a proper LFS, you should be able to get both male and female dwarfs, or get the honey gouramis. With a proper diet and feeding they aren't THAT mean to eachother. Neons will be fine after a few weeks, they are all captive raised now. Weather loaches will do just fine, 74 isn't that high at all, you can change to kuhlli loaches if you prefer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo diademhill's advice regarding dwarf gouramis. For every post saying, "Oh they'll be fine!" there are 10 posts saying, "one of my male dwarf gouramis is super stressed and hides all the time, why is that?"

I think half of the death's that are attributed to the mystical "dwarf gourami disease" are actually a result of the fish getting stressed to death because of multiple males, either by mistake or on purpose (my LFS tried to sell me obvious males as females). Yes, the fish do have a tendency to be unhealthy, but I don't think it's all due to poor breeding: a lot is due to poor fish keeping.

I'm wondering what sort of LFS normally carries female dwarf gouramis, because I searched all over two states and was not able to find a single one. I wasn't even able to find them ONLINE. I finally found them by accident in Wal-mart, of all places, and I think it's because they pay zero attention to their fish and have suppliers who don't weed out the females like most LFS's want. Let's face it, the females are nowhere near as pretty/showy as the males, and most people stocking an aquarium want the "pretty" factor above all else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing about your pop eye goldie is thier eyes are very delicate and they don't see very well. Be careful what you put in tank. You don't want goldie to run into something sharp and injure the eyes. They are not really meant for beginners. I agree on size and yes they are messy so you'll need to see how much filtration you have and what you'll need. Prolly do the goldies a favor to trade them in at LFS for some hardy tropicals. If you get a good relationship with some one at a LFS, they can be very helpful. Also there is a lot to read on this site under articles and use the search to find what you need to learn. Good Luck, sounds like you got a good set up going.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure the mystical "dwarf gourami disease" is false - they *are* known to carry all sorts of funny pathogens. Rumour over here has it that they are farm bred in 30C+ temps, then go into shock from the temp drop once they are shipped out.

Also not convinced neons are hardy fish - they are farm bred but the ones we are getting over here in the last few years seem to be "overbred". They're very weak fish and just prone to dying at the drop of the coin.

Sorry, not much to say on stocking, other than start off conservatively if you're not sure what you're doing! Very Happy
johnw2738
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.28(Tue)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up some pics of your Aquariums Smile , I love the Aquariums which are in dining tables Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: