Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help to tweak my cycle.Fish dying.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

What temperature was the tank & the added water?

Do you have any other dechlorinator as Prime can affect the test readings. Yo want one to remove heavy metals rather than one that affects ammonia.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temp is a steady 76. I don't have any chlorine in water as I'm on a well that does have trace amounts of ammonia. But I have been using bottled drinking water and/rainwater. I do have 2 products here that will neutralizes ammonia, neutralizes chlorine and chloramines. Contains Sodium hydroxymethane sulfinate called Ammonia neutralizer by Aqueon and another called Start Right by Jungle that came with aquarium kit. Removes chlorine, chloramines and other heavy metals. Also has aloe vera for slime coat. Have not tried either one before. Was instructed to use Prime with every w/c and when adding fish. Will these do any good.
Just tested Nitrites .3 and ammonia was .5.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use any of these. Just do a test on the water before you add it.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought of that. every thing was 0 all accross the board. My 20 gallon that I put a shrimp in 2 days ago has 0 ammonia, Nitrates 40, Nitrites 2, pH 6.0 temp 72.. Did a partial w/c to try to save last Danio although he is acting normal, but so was other one until I changed water. Crying or Very sad
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are my water parameters that bad as to suddenly kill my fish?

Another thought, I've heard that some fish stores do not feed thier fish like they should to avoid having to clean up dirty tanks of pooh and leftover food. I'm used to feeding 6" to 8" Oscar fish. Is it possible I am starving my guppies and Danio's? I have been putting in tiny flakes about 10 pieces twice a day for the 2 danio's and 1 minnow. Both the minnow and 1 Danio died suddenly on the next day of me recieving them. Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacki.r3 wrote:
Thought of that. every thing was 0 all accross the board. My 20 gallon that I put a shrimp in 2 days ago has 0 ammonia, Nitrates 40, Nitrites 2, pH 6.0 temp 72.. Did a partial w/c to try to save last Danio although he is acting normal, but so was other one until I changed water. Crying or Very sad

You should be seeing ammonia in the 20 gallon unless the cycle is further along than expected. Add another shrimp & look for a rise in nitrite.

Keep doing 10% water changes for the single danio. Do you know how they were brought to you?
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend thought my aquatium was ready for fish and bought them at Pets Supply Plus. So they were in a baggie with thier aquarium water and had air added to bag. I floated them around in bag in my tank to adjust them to temp of my tank. I drained off most of thier water to lessen chance of introducing disease into my tank.

Got up today and last Danio was dead. Last night I had tested water, did a 25% w/c and fed fish. He was swimming mid tank, not breathing funny, fins out and no trouble swimming. No signs of illness. Today Dead.

On 20 gallon I had saved some fiber/floss filter to seed Whisper 30-60 filter hopefully to jump start cycle. Also added some gravel and decorations to help get BB going. According to my tests, the ammonia had spiked and Nitrites had spiked and levels were dropping and Nitrates were rising. Last night number were nitrates 40
nitrites 2.0
pH 6.0
ammonia .0
temp steady 72.
This tank has been cycling for only 2 weeks today.Have also been adding Sea Chem's Stability following directions on bottle for new aquarium. That may be why this tank is so far advanced in the cycle.
And shrimp has been in there since thursday. Plan on checking water again here shortly, looking for ammonia spike.
Back to 10 gallon tank. I added a 10I whisper filter and seeded it with a piece of a scrubbiie from HOB filter that's already on tank. Have heard you can't over filter. I assume that is true. I cleaned up tank by doing the 100% w/c and vacumed gravel well and had taken out decorations and temporarily put them in a bucket with water from this tank to preserve any BB I have. Ready to basically start over. Should I hang a shrimp on this tank too? Don't understand why I am having so much trouble cycling this tank.
Thanks for all your help and am trying to do all that you are suggesting. Been trying to get this 10 gallon going since mid December.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stability doesn't speed up a cycle -it may make the fish safer but cycling with fish takes longer than one without.

Where did the filter media used to seed the filters come from?
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some came from 55 gallon tank I had and the extra fiber/floss came from other filter on same tank, other filter. The original 10-15 gallon HOB Aquatech filter I had put some extra fiber/floss bio media. Don't have any more Stability. Should I hang shrimp in 10 gallon tank as an ammonia to start cycle over again?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was living in the tank the media came from?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: