Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help to tweak my cycle.Fish dying.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are zebra Danio's. They are doing good this morning
Water tested this am as follows
Nitrates between 10-15
Nitrites almost 0
pH 6.8
ammonia .5
1 Danio is swimming around like normal the other is hanging around bottom and staying in 1 small area. was playing chase with other up until a few minutes ago. Not going to top for air, but not as active as it was 10-20 minutes ago. Can fish tire themselves out playing? Would a 25% w/c be good enough to bring down .5 ammonia. As they just came from a pet store should they be fed today? Sorry for all these questions, but want to get this right.
I also have a 20 gallon set up that I began cycling about 12-14 days ago. Is it okay to put a shrimp in there to give a source of ammonia. I had taken some media from another filter and put in a whisper 30-60 HOB filter. It's full with fibre media and no carbon. I have been using flake food and Stability, but would shrimp work better. Have lot of shrimp left from when I had Oscars.
Final question for now. Are the water parameters the same for beginner type fish, Danio's, guppies, tetras, some cory's and Betta's? These smaller tanks are a pain to try to balance.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update
10 gallon with 2 Zebra Danios
Nitrates 10-15
Nitrites 0-.25 10 just a trace
pH 6.6
ammonia .50
did a 30% w/c to bring down ammonia.
Fish are doing well, no signs of gasping at surface, busy chasing each other around. Added 1 ml Prime for ammonia as my conditioner. Used regular bottled drinking water to refill as I don't have any rain water right now.

20galoon
Nitrates 40
Nitrites 2.0
pH 6.6
ammonia .5

How do I bring down Nitrite level or will it come down on it's own. No fish in this tank. Should I do a w/c or add a shrimp and see how the cycle is doing. I can put a shrimp in a mesh bag and hang it in tank like was suggested to me last night.

Watching 10 gallon very closly as I don't want to losee my Danios.
Am I doing thing right?
Thanks to any one who responds.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the tank with fish keep doing the water changes.

For the fishless tank you want to up the ammonia level ( 3-4PPM are about right) and don't do any water changes until both spikes are over. Shrimp are a good ammonia source and hanging them in a bag (a sock or stocking or hanky fastened with a rubber band, no need to spend money) prevents mess.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick reply. Watching fish closely and testing daily.

20 gallon tank had already had the ammonia spike and looks like nitrites are spiking now. will leave shrimp in tank to see how well it's cycling.

I'd like to get more zebra Danios, When would I be safe to add 2 more? I think some where I read that once filter/tank is cycled I could add 1-2 every week to 10 days. Does that sound right?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to wait until you see no more ammonia or nitrite which could take a month.
The you can add no more than half the existing fish mass each week. The zebras would be better in the 20 gallon tank as they are really too active for a 10g and the shoal needs building up to at least five. You can mix golds & striped.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was told that Fancy Guppies also are good tank mates once I get the Danios numbers up. Then recommended to wait a month or so to add a small cory or two. Sound right?
I'm new to small tropicals. I was forcibly started with 3 Oscar fish in a 10 gallon Tank. So these little fragile fish are new to me. Been reading a lot, but books don't cover all the questions I have. I really like this forum. Your all so helpful.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danios are very active surface swimmers so fancy guppies with big tails would not mix well with them. Corydoras are shoaling fish and need groups f at least five. Also remember that the fish on sale of often juveniles -your danios will reach 2" and those small corydoras you see could reach 3".

For now you wait -no rush as new fish are at least a month away and fish other than danios are a couple of months on so plenty of time to plan.

Look at black neons & cherry barbs - do you like them?
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about I keep guppies and neons (black or other tetras in 10 gallon tank, then move Zebra Danios in 20 gallon tank with White Mountain Minnows in 20 gallon. Would I be over stocking 20 gallon by adding small cory's? Or would there be something better to put in with Danios.
I have a male Betta, could he go in one of the bigger tanks as he is currently in a 1 1/2 gall tank by himself. He can stay where he is, just wondering if he would be safe in say 20 gallon with Danios when they get bigger? I tried to save a minnow by putting a small divider in Betta tank and Betta went nuts over sick minnow. I'm thinking tetres and guppies may be harrassed by the Betta if I put him in 10 gallon with them.
Don't know much about these ghost shrimp. Would like to have something to help keeping bottom clean. Would a bristle nose be to big for either tank. Confused Question Question
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

yOU MENTIONED cHERRY bARB, wHAT aBOUT tIGER bARB'S WITH DANIO'S OR ARE THEY TOO AGGRESSIVE.mY AQUASCAPE IS BLACK SILVER BACKGROUND WITH DARK COLOED DRIFTWOOD AND LIGHT COLOED GRAVEL AND SHALE ROCKS. tHOUGHT BLACK AND WHITE FISH WOULD BE NEAT. hAD EVEN THOUGHT OF A CONVICT, BUT THEY NEED MORE ROOM..
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-17 Update, Not Good,
Water tested today
Nitrates 30
nitrites .5
pH 6.8
Ammonia .3

did 50% water change. Fish showed no stress. Looked at aquarium about 2 hours later and 1 Danio is dead after water change and 1 ml Prime for ammonia and nitrites and water conditioner. Have 1 Danio left and he looks fine, but that doesn't mean any thing.
HELP! Sad Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: