Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new Top fin 55 gallon tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
illmotions
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.12(Sun)3:00    Post subject: new Top fin 55 gallon tank Reply with quote

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804445&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%26amp%3B+Bowls

I just bought this. I has one of the filters that hang off the back and create a little waterfall effect and its charcoal filter that go in them. I had a similar tank that was 30 gallons that was planted and within a month I had glass catfish in it. the fish I put in with the plants to get the cycles started lived for a while. I started with zebra danios some red ones (unaturally colored) and regular ones. I eventually also added a peacock eel. I had a few ghost shrimp a snail a pleco and a chineese algae eeter for maintenance (I think.) So that my experience. I bought a red eared slider that was the size of a quarter. It grew and ate all my fish. This time I am not gonna have a turtle and I want a nice plant that will cover the bottom of my gravel and a nice large piece of drift wood with rooted plants.

So what are some thoughts on the filter?
I havent found anywhere on this site yet saying that its terrible.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.12(Sun)7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter is fine but cannot do the job alone. You will need to get another, similar sized HOB filter or replace it with a canister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.12(Sun)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter will be fine for a low stocked tank.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.14(Tue)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL its funny they throw that filter into this bundle, because it isnt enough.

You would need 1 on each side to properly filter the tank. On a side note, sell the HOB and purchase a Canister that filters up to 100 gallons.
illmotions
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.14(Tue)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure if this forum was dead or not. Good to see its not. So I think I may as well keep the filter and get a new one. Plants are very important to me. So if I were to get another filter and I want a differant one what do you guys suggest?

Also I'm in San diego county. Anyone know where to get crystalwort?
jemsriki
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the switch is and what kind it is, but I have a solution for your problem. Go to Wal Mart and buy an inline rocker switch. Put this switch in the power line to the light and then just put the stock switch in the on position forever. Then you activate your light thru the rocker switch instead of the push switch that comes with the light. I have done this to 3 of my tanks and it works great. Embarassed Razz
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

illmotions wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure if this forum was dead or not. Good to see its not. So I think I may as well keep the filter and get a new one. Plants are very important to me. So if I were to get another filter and I want a differant one what do you guys suggest?

I really like Rena Filstar canisters. An XP3 should be good for your tank. If you want a HOB, Aquaclears are nice and Amazon.com has great deals on them.

As for the plants, I know some plants are illegal in California but I'm not sure which ones. Check your local laws, and then check aquabid.com or plantedtank.net swap n shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Raina
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.13(Tue)0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
illmotions wrote:

I really like Rena Filstar canisters. An XP3 should be good for your tank. If you want a HOB, Aquaclears are nice and Amazon.com has great deals on them.

As for the plants, I know some plants are illegal in California but I'm not sure which ones. Check your local laws, and then check aquabid.com or plantedtank.net swap n shop.

Oh, I'm wondering what kind of plants illegal in California for the marine fish?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: