Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Funny spot on moonlight Gourami
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)15:34    Post subject: Funny spot on moonlight Gourami Reply with quote

Hey everyone! It's been a *long* time since my last post. Life has been crazy, I travel a lot for work now. TL;DR; I have a sick gourami, see the bottom of the post for that. Here's a fuller story.

On a related note, during my last trip, the girls were responsible for feeding the fish. My wife was busy and they decided the fish were 'really hungry' and dumped an entire container of sinking pellets in the tank.

When I arrived home, the tank smelled like swamp, and I went into emergency mode. Took the sponge filter out, and placed it into a hastily set up tank with a few cups of the original 'swamp' water and some new water. Put in my most powerful heater, and got the temperature up in a 'short' hour. Quickly got the fish out of the tank, then migrated the plants (they're in pots now). After which, I downed the main tank for a full cleaning.

The fish stayed in the cramped emergency tank for a full day with sponge/heater + plants. During this time, I took casualties. Luckily, I had only lost 2 corydoras and all my neons.

Well, fast forward a bit to today. It's been two months since that incident. In all, I only lost a bunch of neon tetras and 3 corydoras total in the transitions. I was pretty impressed given the raw putrid water that they had been in for a day before my return. Given the general health of everything, I recently added four corydoras back into the tank to restock.

A few days later, my gourami looks like this:

It does not look like Ich, but I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to diseases other than Ich. None of the other fish appear to have any issues, and the Corydoras all have their barbells (which I know they loose when stressed or diseased).

This guy is by far my favorite fish, so I'm hoping I don't have to euthanize him or anything. Help appreciated!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely not ich.

Aside from the lesions/growths have you noticed the fish has a deformed spine?
This may be from stunting but combined with the growths it could be due to Mycobacterium marinum in which case euthanasia is the best option.

Other possibilities are various viruses like Lymphocystis -again untreatable but less of a threat to yourself.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, his tail-fin seems bent. I've only just noticed this.

I have him in a 55G tank with (now 9) corydoras, 4 otos and 6 gold barbs. I change 25% water every two weeks.

Are Gourami like Discus in that they use allelopathy to limit growth in neighboring fish? Should I have been doing more frequent water changes (weekly 50%) to promote growth?

My gut instinct is telling me this is some form of infection. I did pick up a different brand of meaty food for him a few weeks back when I picked up the new corydoras. No other fish appear to be having issues though.

I can try to grab a picture of the bent tail-fin if that helps.
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsuereth wrote:
Yes, his tail-fin seems bent. I've only just noticed this.

I have him in a 55G tank with (now 9) corydoras, 4 otos and 6 gold barbs. I change 25% water every two weeks.

Are Gourami like Discus in that they use allelopathy to limit growth in neighboring fish? Should I have been doing more frequent water changes (weekly 50%) to promote growth?

My gut instinct is telling me this is some form of infection. I did pick up a different brand of meaty food for him a few weeks back when I picked up the new corydoras. No other fish appear to be having issues though.

I can try to grab a picture of the bent tail-fin if that helps.

It maybe the meaty food because they are more plant eaters than meat eaters,and yes try to get that pic of his tail Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are omnivores but diseases can be introduced with aquatic food or new fish or with plants.

Many fish give of hormones that affect others but poor water quality hits first.

25% every week are more like it but that is a poorly fish. Young moonlights can grow from standard selling size of under 2" to over 5" within a year.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.06(Mon)4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
...could be due to Mycobacterium marinum in which case euthanasia is the best option.

This would be my first guess, and I would have gotten that fish out of there and euthanised it the day I saw it. Would not mess around with anything that looks like that. Especially gourami - probably the worst carriers in general of all the nasty diseases (Myco, viruses, god knows what else) you never want to run into.

Some may not agree, but IME anything that looks like that (regardless of exact diagnosis) is not going to recover and might as well be put down now.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I did euthanize the poor guy, and I did not grab another pic. The rest of the fish appear to be OK, but I've been watching the tank like a hawk to see if any other fish develop those systems.

New question: Is it safe to move plants from this aquarium to another? It's been two weeks since the moonlight was removed, and I'd like to avoid any possible contamination of other tanks. I've been farming some plants in here though, and today (my two week pruning day) I decided to throw away all the trimmings/runner-plants, just in case.

Thanks again!
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.20(Mon)4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with "no", neither is it safe to transfer nets, buckets etc if it actually is a Mycobacteria infected tank. This is, of course, assuming your other tank is clean, which it may not be.

Nothing to really do except wait and see if anything else in the tank develops symptoms over the next months/years really...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: