Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tiger barb tankmates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)8:27    Post subject: tiger barb tankmates Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 40g breeder and so far she has tiger barbs and Buenos Aires tetras. The tetras were suggested by the LFS owner as good tankmates for tigers. The tank is filtered with a Rena XP3.

She is wondering what else she can add to the tank. She plans on about 10 tigers and 6 of the tetras. Ideas that have been thrown around include cories (my guess is no), loaches, RTBS, zebra danios, or a blue acara.

Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 tigers, five tetras & a blue gourami?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the gourami would survive the tigers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gourami should be fine with the tigers. I'd be more concerned by the BA tetras which can be very nippy.

Giant danios would be a good alternative to the tetras and are a classic to mix with tigers & gourami.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
The gourami should be fine with the tigers. I'd be more concerned by the BA tetras which can be very nippy.

Giant danios would be a good alternative to the tetras and are a classic to mix with tigers & gourami.

She unfortunately already has four of the tetras (she had six but her heater malfunctioned and it killed all of her tigers except one and two of the tetras). I think the LFS would take them back in exchange for something else, though. I will pass along the info.

(BTW she used to be a member of this forum but tried to log on and her account was deactivated...)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.04(Sat)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she can remember her old user name tell her to make a new account and then send a PM to Marcos asking if the old account could be reinstated.
nicolaas
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="diademhill"]The gourami should be fine with the tigers. I'd be more concerned by the BA tetras which can be very nippy.

No giuramis! PLEAS NO GOURAMIS!No nippy fish with any gouramis, tiger barbs are probably the fish that case the most hart brake. If she wants to have tigers get more tigers, if not take them back or give them to some one that has others.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.05(Sun)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger barbs are fine in large enough groups in large enough tanks with robust tank mates.
Where people have problems is having too small a group in small tanks and mixing in delicate fish.

I wouldn't put tiger barbs with dwarf gouramis but blue gouramis ( or the other colour varieties of Trichogaster trichopterus) are well able to look after themselves.

I used to set up tanks in nursing homes. Usually 48"x15"x18" or thereabouts ( about 55 gallons)
Standard stocking was 10 tiger barbs, one gourami, half a dozen pearl danios and a bristlenose. Lots of Java fern and some salvinia.
These tanks ran for years without problems with me visiting every three weeks or so to gravel vacuum and do a 30% water change.
Food was in tablet day packs so they were not overfed and got a varied diet.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.06(Mon)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think she's interested in Gouramis, as she kept golds in her 75 (which she has graciously given to me in exchange for the 40 breeder!) and wants something a bit different.

What would you think of this stock list?

8 Tiger Barbs
5 BA Tetras (or giant danios)
1 RTBS
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.06(Mon)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTBS can be stroppy and a 40g is minimum size for one.

A ruby shark would be a more peaceful choice or how about a gold bristlenose?

A blue acara would be too big but a single firemouth could be an option as could pair of Herotilapia multispinosa if she fancies a cichlid.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: