Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20g long: C. habrosus and ??
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.26(Thu)8:49    Post subject: 20g long: C. habrosus and ?? Reply with quote

I'm wanting to set up a "tiny fish" tank with my 20g long. It will have a sand substrate and low light plants (anubais, java fern, maybe some vals) and driftwood.

I'm trying to decide between Celestial Pearl Danios and Endler's Livebearers.

I can get the Endler's locally, but I'm not sure about the CPDs. I believe the CPDs will be more suited to the lower temps for the corydoras, but some sites on Endler's give a very wide temperature range, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.26(Thu)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean lower temp? Always thought habrosus was suited to the middle range tropical temp - 23-26C or so.

Don't think Endler's would have a problem with this temp, thought that it was just they can go higher with no problems.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.26(Thu)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower as in around 23-24*C. Sounds like endlers would work, and would be more suited to the type of current cories prefer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.26(Thu)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall of collection habitats for these, I think all 3 (habrosus, Endler's, CPDs) are found in still or relatively slow moving water with heavy vegetation most of the time.

Only real difference in wild environment conditions offhand is that CPDs can be found in very acidic environments as well as neutral. Other two tend to be close to neutral all the time. Don't know how important this is to regular care though.

Might also be a question of the type of fish you want to keep too - CPDs are very quick and shy. Endler's are more of the open water clearly visible kind of fish, act much like guppies.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.28(Sat)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with Celestial Pearl Danios, because my LFS had some in stock. I bought all four.

I also bought five Boraras maculatus, but unfortunately two were dead when I got home. Two look pretty lively, and one seems like it might have a bit of a swim bladder problem. All of them are VERY thin. They were in a tiny tank... probably around one gallon or less, with a bunch of other tiny fish (including the CPDs and habrosus cories). They seem to be interested in scanning the tank for food, though, and are nibbling off the tiny stuff coming of the plants.

So, total stock in this tank at the moment is:

4 Celestial Pearl Danio
3 Boraras maculatus
6 Corydoras habrosus
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.11(Sat)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review, I actually have 2 Boraras maculatus and a Boraras merah.

Would it be possible to stock all four species in their proper numbers or should I pick one of the Rasbora species?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably could stock both Boraras if you wanted, they're pretty tiny. I don't think you'll need more than 5-6 of each species to be honest, they're not exactly tight schoolers.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: