Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking with Betta albimarginata
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.15(Sun)15:56    Post subject: Stocking with Betta albimarginata Reply with quote

I'm looking for stocking ideas for my 26g "dumpster tank" (long hex tank - see my past threads for the tank's history if you're interested).

Current stock is:
1 pair (m/f) Betta albimarginata
4 Corydoras leucomelas
1 Corydoras panda

I believe I only have room for one Corydoras species, so I'll stick with the C. leucomelas and up their numbers a bit. The panda can just hang out with them.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a small schooling fish, perhaps Harlequin Rasboras. Thoughts?

Oh, the tank is filtered with an Eheim Classic 2217 and is planted. Temp is kept around 72-73*F.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.16(Mon)4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlequins are possible but I think I'd look at checker barbs.
These are a slightly lower level fish to the harlys and prefer the same temperatures that the Bettas do.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.16(Mon)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many would you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.16(Mon)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not tight shoalers so you get away with four or five.
Try & get no more than two males or buy four that look like females and pick up a male later. They will spawn freely and give the other fish a feast.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.18(Wed)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a couple of checker barbs tonight. The LFS had four total.. but three looked like males and one looked like a female. I got a male and a female (I think), and the LFS is going to order more. They should be here on Friday.

The ones that we (the LFS owner and myself) thought looked like males were a bit rounder and had brighter fins (orange-ish). The one we thought was female was duller, thinner, and didn't have the bright fins.

I also picked up 3 C. panda and one C. habrosus I just couldn't resist because he was all alone and his barbels didn't look that great. He can either hang with the other corydoras or I'll pick up a few more since they're so darn tiny. With the tank as heavily planted as I plan it to be and with an Eheim 2215 on there, I think it will be fine.

The new fish are in my quarantine tank for the time being.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: