Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Collecting ideas for nano planted set-up!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Curiositycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.07(Sat)11:57    Post subject: Collecting ideas for nano planted set-up! Reply with quote

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.07(Sat)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Too small and not suitable for any animate creature.
What is the lighting?
Curiositycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.07(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Personally I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Too small and not suitable for any animate creature.
What is the lighting?

Wow, seriously? I've seen snails and daphnia pop up in smaller puddles of water than that in the wild. I've successfully kept bettas in one-gallon set-ups for years and had no health problems, and lots of happy bubble-blowing. I've also had fat and calm african dwarf frogs in tiny set-ups, and I've seen set-ups with freshwater shrimp readily procreating in one- and two-gallon cubes. My secrets: Lots of plants and frequent partial water changes. True, I've never kept anything other than bettas or frogs in a tiny set-up of this sort... which is why I'm asking about suitable species.

Maybe I have a different idea of what constitutes suitable. My definition covers health, apparent satisfaction on the part of the inhabitants, and enjoyment on the part of the keeper (after all, what is the point if we're not also enjoying ourselves). What is your definition?

Lighting, by the way, is several small LEDs.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.07(Sat)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes creatures can survive but that is not the same as thrive.

It may house a few shrimp or snails or even one Betta but personally I keep Bettas the same way I keep dwarf gouramis - just because they are tough is no reason to stick them in tiny bowls.

Look at the tank - it has a waterfall so CO2 will dissipate and what spectrum are the LED lights as it is not aimed at growing plants but as a desktop gimmick. The chances are the light colour is designed to discourage algae and therefore discourage plant growth.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.09(Mon)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely no fish... perhaps a shrimp or two? Or just a nice little planted tank with no fauna..

I would not keep a betta in anything less than 5 gallons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Curiositycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Does no one here keep micro water gardens like this? I was hoping for pictures, but no worries. I looked around a bit more and found a forum dedicated specifically to planted nanos, with lots of cool ideas, pictures, and a species list, which is what I was hoping for. Plus, our local aquarium has several examples set up in their showroom for me to glean ideas from. Yay!

I'll be planting today and adding a Mexican crayfish (don't know the species name--but they only grow to about an inch and are bright red--so cool) next week. Thanks for all the thoughts!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some who keep small planted tanks but in the main people here prefer fish.
There are several recent photos of planted small cubes.
Gimmicky bowls are not conducive to elegant planting.

You still haven't confirmed the lighting.
Curiositycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I appreciate your clarification on the primary interests in this forum--it looks like the nano planted forum makes more sense for my questions, so I'm letting you all off the hook. :p

Thanks again, and best of luck to all of you in all your fish endeavors.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: