Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ram and kribensis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISHMAD
Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BigShrimp yes I will go for it Smile

Diademhill is not going to stop me from trying. Cool

All thats going to be added to it next is:3 guppys,1 ram and 2 sterbais corydoras!! whats wrong with that ? Confused
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you not heard of shoaling species?

BTW please read this.
FISHMAD
Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tank has lots of space you wouldnt know diademhill you can't see it
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how much volume 55 gallon is.

I also know how big those fish get and that you have not considered their behaviour and shoaling needs.

I actually have a 180 litre tank across the room - that has about 60 fish but they are a dozen bristlenoses (Adult trio & the babies I haven't caught yet from their last spawn) and the rest are Endlers livebearers.

That tank looks much emptier than the one with seven fish, one of which will grow to 11 inches, because it has simple decor to allow for catching juvenile Ansictrus.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diademhill is perhaps the most experienced and knowledgeable member on this forum. I suggest you listen to her... she knows her stuff.

I'm not sure who this "BigShrimp" person is, but they obviously don't have the best interest of the fish (or the OP, for that matter, since I'm assuming the goal is a successful tank) at heart, and are simply interested in being insulting and rude. You get all kinds on forums... some just like to start a fight (I.e. "trolling") for the fun of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your the 1 looking for the fight Nicelodeon. Laughing

Diademhill I have no doubt is a very experienced member but I feel she's forgotten the joy of being new to the hobby and wanting to try this fish or that fish .

I've been keeping aquarium fish for around 30yrs and know as long as regular water changes are made , a few extra small fish in a tank will not bring about the end of the world .

Over those 30 yrs I've also made a few mistakes but nothing a trip to the local shop to return an over aggressive fish or 2 didn't solve. These lessons I learnt myself and enjoyed doing so as I'm sure diademhill did when she 1st got into the hobby .

You won't learn anything and miss much of the aquarium keeping fun if you blindly follow what someone else says to do . Sure some mistakes will be made along the way but we all made them and are more experienced for it . Now I can put together a beautiful harmonious community tank , not because someone told me what to stock it with or I read it somewhere else , because I have kept the fish before and understand their temperments and the water perameters they prefer .

Last edited by BigShrimp on 2012.01.12(Thu)10:55; edited 1 time in total
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShrimp wrote:
Over those 30 yrs I've also made a few mistakes but nothing a trip to the local shop to return an over aggressive fish or 2 didn't solve. These lessons I learnt myself and enjoyed doing so as I'm sure diademhill did when she 1st got into the hobby .

You won't learn anything and miss much of the aquarium keeping fun if you blindly follow what someone else says to do . Sure some mistakes will be made along the way but we all made them and are more experienced for it .

I think what you are forgetting is that these are live creatures you're experimenting and "making mistakes" with. Additionally, the signs that things aren't working out aren't always there... otherwise why would we have loads of newbies joining us with horrendous combinations of fish that are working out "just fine" or people who know nothing about cycling telling us that their fish seem "happy?"

"Fun" for me isn't fish suffering and dying while I go through trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. My definition of fun is a tank where the fish are healthy and thriving in an environment as close to their natural habitat as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very PC there nikolodeon .

Have you ever fed a fish to another fish ?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShrimp wrote:
Have you ever fed a fish to another fish ?

No. Feeder fish tend to be riddled with disease so I steer away from them. Additionally, most of the fish I keep are either herbivores or small fish, so offering live fish as a food source isn't practical.
FISHMAD
Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye well my fish are healthy I have no problems or aggressive species bullying other fish.All of my fish are THRIVING and I've had no problems with water OR fish I'm sure adding 5 other small fish wouldnt do any harm. Wink
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: