Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Amazon Tank Help !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.27(Tue)11:55    Post subject: New Amazon Tank Help !! Reply with quote

This is my first time visiting the forum , maybe thats because I am lost and a bit confused concerning how I want to set up my new 110G tank .
I was thinking of an AMAZON planted tank , and I already have an Oscar in my older Mbuna tank . I have the following questions and would be glad if you help me out .
1) can I use rough sand as my substrate knowing that I want to heavily planted tank ?
2) I already have and Oscar , and agreed on buying a Green Terror and a Pleco , what can I add to this list knowing that I have more than enough filtration ?
3) I was wondering what kinda plant species would do best in my tank with sandy bottom and adequate lighting , should I get fertilizers and would it hurt my fish ?
4) Most Important Question : Can I use a CO2 injection while the fish are in the tank ?? wouldn't it raise the pH above optimal acidic levels ??

Thank you so much ...
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.27(Tue)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscars are not plant friendly.
You can grow Java fern on wood in an Oscar tank but any plants in the substrate will be dug up.
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.28(Wed)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Oscars are not plant friendly.
You can grow Java fern on wood in an Oscar tank but any plants in the substrate will be dug up.

don't worry dude ill protect the stems with big rocks , even the mighty oscar can't move a 10 pound piece of rock !!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.28(Wed)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they can shred leaves and will pull plants up. I have used potted tough plants in Oscar tanks but they soon become tatty.
Java ferns are not palatable so they seem to thrive.

If you are using heavy rocks to keep the fish from the substrate you won't be able to plant thickly enough to balance CO2/ferts & lighting and you risk anaerobic patches in the substrate.
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
But they can shred leaves and will pull plants up. I have used potted tough plants in Oscar tanks but they soon become tatty.
Java ferns are not palatable so they seem to thrive.

If you are using heavy rocks to keep the fish from the substrate you won't be able to plant thickly enough to balance CO2/ferts & lighting and you risk anaerobic patches in the substrate.

I finished setting up my aquarium yesterday night , I took some pics today morning , the water is still cloudy a bit , I guess it needs more time to settle , how can I upload pics to the forum ??? can u tell me how ?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=49273
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man that was really helpful !! now this is my aquarium this morning :

this the closer look of the gigantic plant its exactly 3 foot long and has string like extensions that are 5 foot long , it would be helpful to know what the plant name is . photo :
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big plant is an Aponogeton - not an Amazon plant - and the tendrils are flower spikes which need removing from the base at least until the plant is establishe. The Red plant is probably Ludwigia glandulosa which needs separating from the tight bunch or it will rot, if it gets chance before the Oscar shreds it. It is also not an Amazon plant.
The sword looks like E. radicans.

The tank is the worst shape to try & plant and it isn't suitable for more fish with an Oscar.
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good advice , but my Oscar is only 5 inches and I told u that the aquarium is 400+ liters , I thought You can put 2 adult Oscars in a 75 G !!
what kinda fish do u propose ? P. scalare ??
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.29(Thu)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sat next to a 400 litre tank which has a 150cm x 55cm footprint and would house the three fish in your list. Your tank is tall and has a much smaller footprint so one Oscar is about it's limit.

The water depth makes planting more difficult as the light required to reach the lower parts will swamp the upper levels.
It would make an excellent Scalare tank and Jungle vallis would be suitable.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: