Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
melanochromis auratus
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
capsfour
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.21(Wed)18:41    Post subject: melanochromis auratus Reply with quote

I have a female melanochromis auratus and she is holding. She has been for about 7-10 days. The problem is, or question I should say, is that I have had all the cichlids in my tank since they were fry and I only have one melanochromis auratus, the others are: 1 labidochromis caeruleus, a pair of Kenyi, 4 metriaclima callainos (2 female, 2 male) and what I was told was a convict, but does not look quite like any I have seen. I did have 2 Jack Dempseys in the tank until about 3 weeks ago when I put them in a tank of their own, adjusting the water pH more to their liking in their new tank. My question is: I have read that if there is no male the melanochromis auratus female will take on the color and characteristics of the male (which this one was doing about 4 weeks ago and it lasted a couple of weeks). Is it possible she fertilized her own eggs, or would she be holding unfertilized eggs? I am sure she is holding, there is no doubt about it and she has become quite territorial of the entire "block of caves" that at one time they all had a place in. Can anyone help me with understanding this?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.21(Wed)22:25    Post subject: Re: melanochromis auratus Reply with quote

Mbuna are opportunistic breeders and will crossbreed, given the opportunity. She's probably holding mixed fry.

Quite an interesting mix you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
capsfour
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.22(Thu)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I did not think she could fertilize her own eggs. Yes this has been interesting. I have always had Oscars and Dempseys in the past, until moving here. When I set up my tank I decided I wanted to try African Cichlids. As I have since learned, pet shops really are not a good source of advice on African Cichlids and in fact all the fish I have came from a tank labeled "mixed African Cichlids". When I questioned the staff regarding the mix, their reply was "all these fish make good tank mates". I did lots of research to try to identify what I had, and found the answers on this site, once they started maturing. Of course when one of my Kenyi started changing colors, I started reading up a bit on all the that I did have. If only I had found this site prior to purchasing, but alas, I have grown to admire each that I have and can't imagine taking any back to the store to trade in. I know from experience that many people put fish in a tank and be done with it, not catering to water quality needs and the rest and do not want my fish to fall prey to this end. I have organized the tank to have many hiding places, triple the filtration, and feed small quantities two times per day, making sure they are not hungry and until just recently everyone had a place, now of course they have been ousted from the slate cave complex that I erected due to the aggressive behavior. This site I find very helpful and the best I have found so far for identification, although it does take time to identify the cichlids. Thank you for you reply.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.22(Thu)8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably want to add more rockwork, perhaps on the other side of the tank, so the rest of your fish can enjoy caves again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: