Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to Site and to Tropical Fish Keeping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.07(Wed)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use one of those reverse osmosis water filters to clean the tap water prior to putting it in the tank? I have heard some places sell osmosis water but if I could do the process myself it may be a good way to clean the water.

I shall change some of the water in the meantime using the Aqua Safe.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.07(Wed)4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use salt in a tank with clown loaches.
The only time salt is needed in a freshwater tank is to alleviate nitrite poisoning otherwise it is harmful.

Stress zyme is useless but unlike easy balance it will do no harm.

Do a 30% water change. asap.

What are all the test readings at the moment?
What you are seeing is due to poor water quality and possible transport damage. The best cure is plenty of good quality water.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.07(Wed)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this morning the redness doesn't seem to have gotten worse. I added a new rock cave for him to hide in an the loach has repossessed it.

He is a the bottom but is the right way round and I also noticed that the water has gotten clear overnight. He was quite alert and immediately came up to the glass to see me when I came into the room. I will monitor him closely again today and change some of the water. As the syphon has still not arrived I will take it from the top of the tank unless.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.07(Wed)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got some parts together to assemble a water butt. Had been meaning to do it for rainwater to water plants with. Can I use rainwater in the tank without having to dechlorinate? I don't think the rain is too acidic here but can't say for sure without collecting some and testing it but at least it should be free from chlorine.

Also would Stresscoats ability to restore protective slime mean that it could also protect against fin rot?
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stress Coat + has just arrived. Does anyone know if its okay to add it to the tank straight away considering that it already had Aqua Safe. I could do a partial water change say 20 liters and put double the dosage ie 5ml for 20L as it says "Double the dosage to replace slime coat and to repair damaged skin and fins." I have added a few tall plants as well so it could be a good chance to get this water up to scratch. New heater also arrived as well as ornaments. What a lucky day, I just hope its lucky for Poseidon as well!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 30 litre water change and add double the dose for the water you replace.

Stress coat won't hurt but the best thing for this fish is fresh water; lots of water changes.

What are the test readings?
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Do a 30 litre water change and add double the dose for the water you replace.

Stress coat won't hurt but the best thing for this fish is fresh water; lots of water changes.

What are the test readings?

Thank you! I'll do it right away! Does the product work instantaneously or do I need to give it time to do its thing? Gosh! I'm so nervous now!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it into the new water in a bucket. Count to ten and tip it in the tank.

It will work if you count to two but you'll feel better for counting to ten. Very Happy
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Put it into the new water in a bucket. Count to ten and tip it in the tank.

It will work if you count to two but you'll feel better for counting to ten. Very Happy

Great minds think alike... I waited 30 seconds just to make sure Very Happy

The Stresscoat + really does go far compared to the vast amounts of Aqua Safe I had to use. 1.9 litre bottle should last me a while!
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.09(Fri)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to get your opinions on "INTERPET - ANTI FUNGAL AND FINROT". Poseidon looks a bit redder today despite the fresh water and Stresscoat so I rushed out and got this medicine for him. It says it's harmless to fish and the guys in the shop said I can add it to the tank without quarantining him. Have not put it in yet until I can verify it's the best remedy. Thanks.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: