Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to Site and to Tropical Fish Keeping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Sorry , the photos are too small to be able to see anything but 21degrees is too cold (apart from for the white cloud ) you need to aim for 26C.

Ignore pH. Messing with it causes more problems than not.

Eheim filters are good.
If you are worried about picture size please put a web link to the hosting site.

You can add dechlorinatoer to the tank as soon as you get some. Then add it to any new water before adding to the tank.

Thanks for the heads up, I have raised the temp to higher and will take a new temp reading in about 30 minutes.

I really appreciate all the advice people are leaving.

Just took the temp and it's only 22 C - just about. Have moved the fish closer to the heater where it should be warmer, he done a little dart and went down again.

Last edited by Blue Dragon on 2011.12.04(Sun)19:02; edited 1 time in total
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
You need to resize in photobucket.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DragaoPortista/IMAG0123.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DragaoPortista/IMAG0121.jpg
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the same size - you need to make the pictures large when you link to them.

Leave the fish alone - it is stressed enough and the filter moves the water around so all the tank will be a similar temperature.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Diademhill, I am leaving him in his corner. He is still upside down today but I have managed to buy some Aqua Safe and put it into the tank. Just hope that he's okay now.

In a coupld of days I will also add some Easy Balance to sort out the pH level which shall be measured with the pH kit I also got.

Do you know if a 100 WATT heater is suitable for a tank under 30 gallons?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use Easy Balance!!!
It is far from safe and we have often traced tank crashes back to it's use.

pH doesn't matter as long as it is stable. Bouncing pH stresses fish and stressed fish succumb to other conditions.

Can you take back the pH kit & swap it for a nitrite kit?
Take back the easy balance too if you haven't opened it.

Aqua safe is OK but a very expensive dechlorinator given that you use seven times the dose you would need of Aqua plus or stress coat and a bottle costs about the same. Wink

100 watts is fine in a centrally heated room other wise 150w would be better.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Don't use Easy Balance!!!
It is far from safe and we have often traced tank crashes back to it's use.

pH doesn't matter as long as it is stable. Bouncing pH stresses fish and stressed fish succumb to other conditions.

Can you take back the pH kit & swap it for a nitrite kit?
Take back the easy balance too if you haven't opened it.

Aqua safe is OK but a very expensive dechlorinator given that you use seven times the dose you would need of Aqua plus or stress coat and a bottle costs about the same. Wink

100 watts is fine in a centrally heated room other wise 150w would be better.

You have been very helpful, thank you once again. Not sure if they will take back the items but I can try, maybe I could swap for Aqua Boost. Your definitely right about the dosage as a good part of the bottle is already used up!

The kit I got is called EASY TEST and reads Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH so I guess it covers most thing. Wasn't sure of the quality/accuracy of the product but I was desperate to get something I could use in my hands. I can order another for future use.

Will also order a new heater right away, 150W, if its too tall I guess I can put it going horizontally.

Do you reccomend any particular make and model or are there any to avoid?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to learn as much as possible as fast as possible as I love and value all life. I am so thankful I found this site!

I also got some Aquarium Salt as someone suggested to me. Packet says it's Tonic Salt and is safe for fresh water aquariums. Maybe best not to add it yet as I already added the Aqua Safe and fear changing too much too soon.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know aqua boost but none of the bottled stuff replaces the bacteria in the filter.

Just see if you can swap it for dechlorinator as that is what you thought you were buying isn't it? Wink

Most liquid test kits are accurate enough if used according to the instructions -when they say shake they really do mean shake. The dip strips are less accurate but if stored well are better than nothing.

HAGEN ELITE 150W heater is
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.05(Mon)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News, He is swimming a bit now. Still turning upside down but he seems much better than before. He was trying to breather from the top of tank and I noticed he still had some buoyancy issues. The fact that he was swimming rather than just at the bottom makes me feel a little better.

Fingers crossed he pulls through!
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.06(Tue)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update. He was swimming this morning with all his fins out. Went topsy turvy for a bit but is now able to hold himself the right way up. It put the lights on for the other fish as they have been off for a while and he has gone to his little hiding place to rest up. It think he is looking much better than he was last night and he is curious about whats happening outside the tank.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.06(Tue)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he is more active I notice that the base of his tail is now red and bit seem to be coming off. I have read about fin rot and wonder if this is it! He has gone upside down again but I will try and take a photo.

I have bought some aquarium salt, it is by SUPA and is labelled as TONIC SALTS, can I use this to make him better? The other fish are not showing any of these signs.

It looks really sore but has just manifested in the past few of hours. Poor guy is suffering from one thing after another!

Api Stress coat and Api Stress Zymes are in the post and should get here soon. I could not find any local suppliers so I have ordered on ebay. But in the meantime I need to do something.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: