Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to Site and to Tropical Fish Keeping
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)12:57    Post subject: New to Site and to Tropical Fish Keeping Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am new here and am trying to learn more about the subject. As of yesterday I inherited an aquarium with 1 Common Pleco, 1 White Cloud, 1 Clown Loach, 1 Featherfin Catfish and lots of pointy snails.

I realise it was a big shock to the fish to be moved but am very worried now about my Catfish. He was the most active yesterday and was even prepared to come up to me unlike the rest who hid. Today I found him upside down in the bottom of the tank. I thought he was sleeping as he is moving but after putting the light on for a couple of hours he has not moved from the spot. I tried to wake him up with the net and then even put my arm in the tank to get him the right way round but he swam for about 2 seconds and went back down and upside down. Have been trying to research and in the last few hours have had somewhat of a crash course but when I try to find out about why he is upside down all I am able to get in the searches are articles on upside down catfish the actual fish name not the condition.

I am really, really worried now and don't know what to do to save him. The tank is not new, all the equipment is what has been there for years. I think maybe the change in water and shock in moving but don't have a clue how I can help him/her. I feel so helpless!

Yesterday he was doing fine and I even noticed he was always near the Pleco but today he is in the opposite side of the tank.

I am going to get more Clown Loaches and White Clouds as I know they like to school, I just don't know how to help my lovely Featherfin whom I have named Poseidon.

PLEASE HELP! I did not expect to get them but now they are here I have a responsibility. I already have 3 dogs, 1 cat and 5 ferrets but now I am hooked on Tropicals.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK when you moved the fish did you keep the filter in tank water?

Which water conditioner did you use when you refilled the tank?

I see the tank is 91 cms x 30cms x 32cm which is far too small for clown loaches & common pleco both of which grow longer than the tank is wide. The Featherfin also needs a much larger tank - 250 litres minimum when yours is only 87 litres.

Please leave the lights off, add dechlorinator if you haven't already and start looking for new homes for the larger fish.
Also look at the articles <- on the nitrogen cycle as you may have inadvertently killed the filter bacteria.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
OK when you moved the fish did you keep the filter in tank water?

Which water conditioner did you use when you refilled the tank?

I see the tank is 91 cms x 30cms x 32cm which is far too small for clown loaches & common pleco both of which grow longer than the tank is wide. The Featherfin also needs a much larger tank - 250 litres minimum when yours is only 87 litres.

Please leave the lights off, add dechlorinator if you haven't already and start looking for new homes for the larger fish.
Also look at the articles <- on the nitrogen cycle as you may have inadvertently killed the filter bacteria.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have turned the lights of as you suggested.

The Pleco is about 15-20 cms long at the moment and is just happy sucking onto the side.
I did not use any conditioner when I filled the tank as I had none and it was too late to go to a pet shop. I literally got a call around 6pm and was back here with the tank about 8pm. The filter was not out of the water for long and was still wet when I set up the tank system.

Could the fact that the plastic around the heater melted slightly have released chemicals into the water?

This Catfish was so strong yesterday that he was moving large pieces of driftwood and flinging pebbles onto the glass so hard I was scared it would shatter. He also showed no fear and tameness.

I would consider getting a bigger tank for the bigger fish as I have already fallen for them hook, line and sinker... if you pardon the pun!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately filling the tank with tapwater may well have destroyed the filter.
Get some aqua plus or stress coat ASAP and start doing daily water changes.
30% at least and you need to match temperature. You can siphon out 30% and then top up bucket by bucket.If you have a combi boiler you can use hot water from the tap otherwise use a kettle to add hot to cold in the bucket. Add the dechlorinator to each bucket before tipping into the tank.

What plastic around the heater? -any chance of a photo or at least tell us any markings on the heater.
What temperature is the tank?
What filter do you have?

If you plan to upgrade you would need to be looking at 400 litres at least and that still would not be large enough for a shoal of clowns..
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Unfortunately filling the tank with tapwater may well have destroyed the filter.
Get some aqua plus or stress coat ASAP and start doing daily water changes.
30% at least and you need to match temperature. You can siphon out 30% and then top up bucket by bucket.If you have a combi boiler you can use hot water from the tap otherwise use a kettle to add hot to cold in the bucket. Add the dechlorinator to each bucket before tipping into the tank.

What plastic around the heater? -any chance of a photo or at least tell us any markings on the heater.
What temperature is the tank?
What filter do you have?

If you plan to upgrade you would need to be looking at 400 litres at least and that still would not be large enough for a shoal of clowns..

400 litres?? Wow, this guy is the size of a goldfish at the moment, had no idea he would get that big.
I am getting a thermometer right now! Not sure on filter, it says EHEIM on it, is green in colour and about the size and shape of those drinking bottles that cyclists use. There is also a little tube that stays out of the water and has a black knob at the end.
Pictures coming up...
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm - goldfish grow to a foot long - plecs can easily reach 18 inches.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the filter...

This is the damaged heater...

Temperature of the water is 21 C. Using a soil pH meter I got a reading of 6.8-6.9 .

Not sure how to test the hardness.

Can I put the drops directly into the tank for immediate remedy or does it have to be done gradually ie replace 10 litres at a time?

Could what appears to be an excess of snails be affecting the chemistry of the water? Their shells are made up of calcium carbonate with could be leaking into the water. Is there a humane way to get rid of them, I'd rather they were eaten by fish rather than just removed and killed.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , the photos are too small to be able to see anything but 21degrees is too cold (apart from for the white cloud ) you need to aim for 26C.

Ignore pH. Messing with it causes more problems than not.

Eheim filters are good.
If you are worried about picture size please put a web link to the hosting site.

You can add dechlorinatoer to the tank as soon as you get some. Then add it to any new water before adding to the tank.
Blue Dragon
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try once again...

Drats, I guess they are restricted here... here are the links...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DragaoPortista/IMAG0123.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DragaoPortista/IMAG0121.jpg
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to resize in photobucket.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: