Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Water filtration question
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Johnenewt1
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.26(Sat)4:55    Post subject: Water filtration question Reply with quote

Hi. I have a 150-gallon fish tank full of 25 African Cichlids (the most peaceful - yellow labs, acei, rustys, peacocks, etc.), and I'm tired of seeing 1 fish die every 2-3 months. One time it will be eye cloud, another will start to get internally-looking bloody/torn fins, and yet others have no physical signs at all and just perish. The pH is always 8.0 (monitored twice/day), the temperature is always 80 degrees, I have a built-in filtration system at the back of the tank, plus an external canister filter going. I use a de-chlorinator, cichlid salt, cichlid minerals, dry aragonite, texas holey rocks, etc. I feed them the purest food available - Omega One veggie line, plus seaweed flakes, and do a water change every 10 days. I believe the reason they are dying is because our water is very rusty. We use a $6 monthly whole-house filter cartridge which removes rust, chlorine, etc., but we don't believe it's enough, so now we would like to strip the water completely of all its qualities. So here's my question... What can I buy so that I can strip out every property of water from my tap (and of course treat the water myself later), while at the same time still have the same heavy water flow coming out of the sink's faucet, so I can still use my 30 foot python siphon tube between the sink and the fish tank? I basically don't want to sit here for 3 hours while doing a water change because I can only buy something that has a little trickle of water coming out of a separate small spout on the sink. I still want to use the main sink faucet (full pressure), with my python tube, with whatever you can recommend I buy. Is it some sort of reverse osmosis system? Also to mention - I do not want to store water. Is what I want to do impossible? If not, please send suggestions and/or links of what I can buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you.
James in OH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.03(Sat)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of why the fish are ding off and would need a few more questions answered first. The one thing I noticed was, 1 fish ding every 2-3 months. I would think that if your water was that bad, they would be ding soon after a water change and more of them.

Ill address your question regarding the tap water filtration...

there are many things you can do to "strip" your water clean. There is an RO option it may take a few days to fill up a 50 gallon trash can but then you can put a pump in the trash can to fill up your tank in no time. This option can be expensive.

You can purchase another whole house water filter but two or three stages. I purchased one from US Water Systems, it is a two stage unit that filters 25 gpm and the filters get changed every year. Now I understand that the one year deeply depends on usage and water quality from the tap.

The next thing you can do is talk to people (pet shops) in or around your area what do they do for their tanks?
needabiggertank
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound elementary but are your fish chasing each other? Usually split fins are a result of this and if the splits reach the flesh it will cause bleeding and they will die. The cloudy eye could be from banging around from being chased and scratched itslef on rocks, etc. Iv'e had the same thing in the past. Your house filter removing the impurities should be enough to remove your rust issue and your other additives are fine.
Johnenewt1
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.12(Mon)1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

James in OH wrote:

You can purchase another whole house water filter but two or three stages. I purchased one from US Water Systems, it is a two stage unit that filters 25 gpm and the filters get changed every year. Now I understand that the one year deeply depends on usage and water quality from the tap.

That sounds great. But what do they filter from the water? What kinds of filters are they? How much did they cost you? Do you have a link on their website of them?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.13(Tue)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually stop adding anything to your water other than dechlorinator. What kind do you use? I'd stop the salt, minerals, etc.

What is your pH out of the tap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: