Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish to Breed
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.11.21(Mon)0:10    Post subject: Fish to Breed Reply with quote

Okay guys I need your suggestions just one more time!

I'm setting up a breeding tank (30gal), and probably going to add one of my old 2ft tanks (~60L/15gal) as a grow out tank. Looking into fish to breed, I don't want something too pricey (I want to be able to sell them) or cheap (or anything like guppies where shops would just much rather get them from suppliers).

Tossing up between cats and dwarf cichlids. Peppermint bristlenoses are at the top at the moment (anyone have any experience with spawning them?). I've read it's best to get a bunch of peppermints then wait for them to pair up, but I'm not too keen on this. Other ideas are convicts or apistos (no idea what type).

Also thinking of putting a divider in the main tank, haven't decided how to go about this. I want something that isn't too permanent (aka not going to silicone some glass in). Might try attaching a wall of fine mesh. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.21(Mon)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convicts are out - tank too small and no market for offspring.
Apistos or shelldwellers or sterbai corys?.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.21(Mon)17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a market for peppermints and other bristlenoses. I hear most LFSs tend to take them as they sell well. I dunno, they seem very commonly sold by hobbyists, most cats for that matter. Whenever I browse aquarium related trading sites it's all Geophagus, catfish, other cichlids (shellies, dwarfs, Africans etc etc...). Not sure if you just want to go with the trends? Maybe have a look at some trading sites to see what people are selling. What seems to be more unusual are the Tanganyikans but I have no idea whether you can keep a colony of something in a 3' or if there is even a market for these.

Various apistos are difficult, they're unusual to find in a LFS but are also enough of a specialty fish that LFSs usually aren't too keen on taking them (at least IME). Not excessively common sales from hobbyists either but not rare, at least for the usual variants/species.

In all honesty, the aquatic that seems to be the most profitable are the (feral) shrimp. Not so much RCS or the native ones, but high grade CRS bring around obscene prices, particularly in summer. Yellow cherry shrimp have also just been offered for sale through a Sydney LFS (petcity?) and I've just noticed a for sale ad for those running $45-60 per shrimp.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.11.21(Mon)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought about Sterbai cories, have you had experience with them?

I know most standard BNs and the albinos are very common, I've never seen peppermints or long fin ones in shops though. I'll ask my LFS which ones they will be most likely to take once I narrow it down to a couple of species (I do some weekend work for them). Looking on the trading sites is a good idea, I'll have a bit of stickybeak. I'm not too fussed about going with the trends - I would like to try something somewhat different, but I want to be able to know I can sell them easily enough. I've seen Tanganyikans around, not as common as Malawis but I would think there is still a market for them somewhat.

Hmm okay, which apistos do you think I would have the best chance with then?

I've considered some shrimp. You're definitely not wrong about the prices of the crystal reds! I've heard they are very picky with water conditions though. Do you think there is actually much of a market for them though? (would many LFS buy them all would it all be private buyers). I wouldn't mind trying them, maybe start with the yellow cherry shrimp.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.22(Tue)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

C sterbai are as easy to breed as bronzes but fetch twice the price. Very Happy
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.22(Tue)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlowellas are another one that is easy to sell to lfs. I keep 6 in a 36 inch tank and have babies every couple of months.

Tangs are another easy seller, but don't know how it would be there. You could possible get by with 5 in that size tank, But don't get shell dwellers as they need more room.

With peppermint or longfins. All you would need is to start with 6 and most likely get a pair but they are kind of slow to mature and is usually 8 to 9 months old before they are mature enough to breed. If you can get hold of some that are close to maturity and can be sexed get a trio of 1 male to 2 females.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.22(Tue)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about the apitos, but I'm seeing a flood of panduro at the moment if you were thinking of that one...

Some LFS do buy shrimp, just depends on which one you go to. I think people tend to sell privately because there is better value in high quality shrimp that way.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.11.22(Tue)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Farlowellas might be worth a shot too.
Seems to be a lot of doubt surrounding Tanganyikans - I might just stay clear, for this set up anyway.
If I get peppermint or longfins I am just going to buy mature ones (don't want to wait Laughing). Yeah, the plan was to get one male and two females, the guys get fairly aggressive apparently. I think I'll only have one trio/breeding pair though (30 gallon would be too small to divide and have two pairs right?)

The only apistos I've seen around are cacatuoides'. To be honest I'm not too familiar with apistos.

Quote:
Some LFS do buy shrimp, just depends on which one you go to. I think people tend to sell privately because there is better value in high quality shrimp that way.

Good point. Can't imagine many people would buy high grade CRS from an LFS.

I had a look around on some sites, definitely looks like bristlenoses (of varying types) and african cichlids (mainly Malawis) are the biggest sellers.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.11.22(Tue)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here there's a pretty good market going right now for the tanganyikans. One of my LFS is selling Neolamprologus Multifasciatus for $25 a fish, and that's about the lowest price I've seen around here. There's also a good market for rams, both the Bolivian and German blue ones.
I'd say just go for a fish you like, that has a decent market, and will make you happy Smile

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.27(Tue)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after looking into it and talking to various people, I've narrowed it down to either:

-peppermints
-electric yellows
-longfin BNs (only if, for some reason, I can't get my hands on large peppermints at a decent price).

I won't have any trouble selling the peppermints for around $10, and the yellow labs at around $3. A main supplier is selling electric yellows to shops at what used to be retail price (not sure if others are doing the same), so if I sell them for around $3 each (what the shops used to get them for) they will move, and I won't have a problem getting rid of them.

I'm still slightly leaning towards peppermints more (higher price, can go in more tanks than the electric yellows, somewhat interesting). I guess it will still depend a bit on what my tap water is like?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: