Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sumatran Sluggish Stream Biotope
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TJ14
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.13(Sun)1:27    Post subject: Sumatran Sluggish Stream Biotope Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Okay, this is my first post, so bear with me, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. Anyway, recently I've been trying to create a Sumatran stream biotope with a 28 gallon, and I've run into trouble. I can't find very many plant species that are from there. I think it's mostly because all the websites, when saying where the particular plant is from, just say SE Asia. Also, since I've already started, I have a juvenile pearl gourami, and ten trigonostigma hengeli in there, along with some java moss and java fern, and because the tank looked so bare, some vallisneria spiralis. Is somebody able to help me fill in the rest of my tank, and tell me if I can keep the Val, or if it's not native? Thanks!!
Oh, and I've got low-medium light, and I may at some point be able to get some cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia, but does anybody know of any more?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.11.14(Mon)3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure about Sumatra in particular, but plants in the general Indo/Malay area include hairgrasses, Blyxa species, a number of crypts and potentially some lotuses and Barclaya. Bucephalandra spp are probably there too, these are not available in Australia so have no idea what they're like to keep.

I don't think java fern, while endemic to much of SE asia, is found much in sluggish stream biotopes. It's usually growing emersed in waterfall areas and/or closer out to the sea in brackish water as far as I know.

Not sure about val spiralis but vals are usually found in river biotopes so sounds plausible to me.

Hope that helps somewhat.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: