Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank - need 'unique' suggestions
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)22:06    Post subject: New tank - need 'unique' suggestions Reply with quote

The time has come to start another set up, it's been a while. I'm rather limited with space and funds, so it's most likely going to be a 30 gal tank, maybe a 3ft. This unfortunately instantly crosses off about 3/4 of my list of wanted fish (would love love love some silver-tip shark cats). The other problem is the import laws for fish in Australia.

I want something I've never had before, and which isn't your ordinary aquarium fish. So feel free to give all suggestions!

Seems like most of the interesting fish I've been looking at will require a pretty decent sized tank. But who knows, I wouldn't put it past myself to somehow end up with a tank double the size that I intended. Lots of catfish species I would love to keep one day.

I've always had a sweet spot for dwarf puffers, but you can't import them here...if anyone in Australia knows where I might be able to get my hands on some, PM me please Smile I've heard rumours of them floating around in some places.

I know there are also some odd things with some species, especially shrimp, where you can't import them, but it's fine to sell them if they were bred here, so that's another option for difficult-to-obtain species.

So throw in any you can think of, I'm not too fussed if they are hard to get a hold of, I'm always up for a challenge Wink
Even if they aren't meant to be kept here, I would be interested (hypothetically of course).

Oh and I don't think marine would really work out in my current situation, but let me know if you have any idea anyway Smile. I'm open to the idea of brackish if something interesting pops though (which I'm positive it will).

*edit*: Oh and, I'm also open to inverts, even interesting plants! Doesn't have to just be fish. Just want something different!
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you actually find interesting? Not sure if my idea of interesting will match yours. Very Happy

Last edited by unissuh on 2011.10.22(Sat)23:21; edited 2 times in total
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of things Laughing really anything which isn't the standard 'school of tetras with a feature fish' sort of set-up...anything rare, strange, unusual eating habits, etc etc. Sort of just want ideas to research on.

What's your idea of interesting? (examples?)

I was thinking about doing something similar to the stream set-up too. Not too sure though. I might be able to get those shrimp - I know a couple of people who are really good with shrimp.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some communities I have been considering recently (moved the stream one here, was in the middle of editing post! Very Happy):

Stream set up - Sewellias, possibly Stiphodons if the native ones ever get into the trade, Danio/Devario species for the top, perhaps some Riffle shrimp if you can find a vendor. Mostly river stones for decor.

Blackwater (doing this already Very Happy) - Sphaerichthys spp, small rasboras, lots of leaves/wood. Could apply the same to South American set up 'cept have a pair of Apistogramma sp, pencilfish, Corydoras, small catfish. Possibly an African butterfly fish if you don't have any small fish. Minimal plants here I think.

Rainbow dominated tank - pick a rainbow species to center this around. If I had a 5-6' tank destined to be a display I think I would probably go this route using Boesemani rainbows, IMO very hard to beat a shoal of these for a display. Perhaps add Pseudomugil furcatus, peacock gudgeons to this. Plenty of plants, large leaved ones e.g. Aponogeton, crypts. Alternative for smaller tank could be Iriatherina werneri.

EDIT: Brackish - Celebes rainbows or Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis. Flatfish for bottom feeder perhaps, Empire gudgeons even. Nerites, "Darwin algae eater" shrimp (not with flatfish).

Ahh if I had the space for a few large tanks.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about the blackwater set up as well! Every time I look into it though I somehow end up somewhere else. Could be interesting. African butterflies catch my eye.

Also considered rainbows too, but, like you said, I think I would only do it in a large display tank.

I guess now that I think about it more I'm leading more towards a species tank, where the main focus is the fish them self, rather than the set-up as such...I've never done that before, I'm always concerned with the overall effect (obviously turns out better looking, but I want something different this time).
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.30(Sun)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought - I've always been interested in breeding, perhaps I could just set up a breeding tank or two. I would rather something which is still somewhat rare, or different (a bit pricey wouldn't be bad either when I come to sell them). Even something like peppermint bristlenoses would be pretty good. Any suggestions?
don clark
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.31(Mon)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want research, and have trouble with importing, why not try catching your own native freshwater collection, thats what I do, I have to id them and research their lifestyles, its a lot of work, but educational, unique and interesting.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: