Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fundulus chrysotus, andflagfish sexing
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
don clark
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.18(Sun)7:30    Post subject: Fundulus chrysotus, andflagfish sexing Reply with quote

I have 2 f chrysotus collected from the local river, they are about 2", one has orange fins, alittle bigger and more aggressive, the other is a solid light gold with bright specks, am icorrect in assuming the larger one is a male? also looking to get a pair of flagfish from the river, but don't know what a female looks like? Question
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.09.18(Sun)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're pretty accurate in your assumptions. Both sexes have the golden flecks on their flanks. The males are larger and will have the red spotting on its body. If you can (and have the tank space) try to get a few more fish and take home some females. I had a tank with two males and three females and aggression wasn't too bad. If I could do it over again, I would have upped the females to 5 or 6.

Flagfish are pretty easy to determine sex. Like the golden topminnows female flagfish will have the golden flecks on their sides. But they are much less colorful than the males (the male will have the red rows of dots), and the females have a dark spot on the rear portion of the dorsal fin. A good search of male and female flagfish should help.

I've kept both these species separate and together. I threw a male flagfish and two females into an outdoor tub with one male and two female golden topminnows two springs ago. I left the tub sit til August and have 12 additional flagfish and 8 additional goldens. They are fun to keep, and easy to breed (which is nice since they usually only live about 2-3 years, and you can keep your own captive bred line going).
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: