Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
please help systematic death in progress
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
catchdog
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.07(Wed)19:22    Post subject: please help systematic death in progress Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a pretty gnarly situation on my hands. the tank in question is a 60g community tank that has been running for six months. it used to house local wild caught fish (sunfish). decided it was too much to maintain and gave them away. tank ran empty for about four days. before introducing my new stock I tested the water which was tested good according to my api master test kit. I introduced the following:

5 black neons
5 fancy guppies
one week later
3 boesmani rainbows and
4 emerald corys

I took the time to do a 25% water change every day while it was empty to ensure that the tank was clean.fish survived without issue for a week. a few days ago guppys started dying. always one at a time two a day. two days ago the first of the boesmanis died. yesterday another and a cory. today my black neons started dying. all fish died the same. seemed perfectly fine until they start to struggle to keep upright. fins seem to lose movement and whitish stuff appears on the fins. seemed like ammonia to me so about a week ago I tested the water to find a small trace .25 ppm of ammonia. twice daily water changes were performed until the ammonia no longer registered. current water parameters are as follows:

ammonia: 0 ppm
pH: 7.2
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0ppm
temp: 74 degrees

please help I don't know where I went wrong and am totally lost. thanks in advance.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.09.08(Thu)3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank lost cycle and then spiked - you probably missed the main ammonia & nitrite spikes but the fish suffered the effects,. There is something wrong if not nitrates are present.

Keep up the water changes and test a sample of your tapwater.
What water conditioner are you using and when are you adding it?

Try the tests again but this time shake the bottles three times as long and use a clock.
catchdog
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.08(Thu)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks diademhill the chems I've been using are prime with every water change, api stress coat and a seachem pH regulator. I had been using ro on the tank but gave that up and went with tap when I put in the new fish. I've been testing my water like crazy but I guess ill double tap with another test kit.my tank is running pretty low on livestock should I be worried about the tank losing cycle again? what causes a tank to lose cycle? thanks again diademhill I will follow your guidance.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.09.08(Thu)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the chems I've been using are prime with every water change, api stress coat and a seachem pH regulator.

So you have double dosed dechlorinator when it is not needed for RO water and them added a phossphate buffer?

Pick one water conditioner - Prime for now and use just prime in tap water.

Your tank lacks micronutrients/trace elements which is probably why the cycle has stalled.
Don't worry about getting more fish until the tank is stable;- What is the current GH & KH - pH too?
Please run a full test panel on your tapwater.
catchdog
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.08(Thu)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do thanks. the reason I use a pH reg is because the tap water here is at 8.2 pH I know that is a little high for most fish so I wanted to get it down to the sevens. yes I admit to panicking and going a little crazy with the dechlorinators. I was using the stress coat first but then switched to prime after reading about it. my last boesmani woke up this morning hovering just below the surface and is very still. a pretty large white patch has appeared over his dorsal fin and across his back. the fin has become clamped down an I'm sure hes next. this sux
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: