Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
5 Gallon Tank
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.24(Wed)23:50    Post subject: 5 Gallon Tank Reply with quote

I have a 5 gallon that has been fish less for about 6 months.Last fish was a Beta.It is planted with Drawf Anubias and Java Fern.I have decided to go with Red Cherry Shrimp.How many would be max for the tank.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.25(Thu)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 20. They are very very small and little to no bioload. NOW, read up on RCS because they are very fragile to the water chemisty.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.25(Thu)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably would just start off with 10 and let them breed. If you're doing it right, it will be very hard to control the population, IME you will probably end up with about 100-200 before it starts to level out.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.26(Fri)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really want to have that many then have to get rid of them.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.26(Fri)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of places will take them, or you can sell them locally, and if your OK with it, some larger fish like them as a snack Wink. And they do breed very easily, so you will end up with a lot.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.26(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't have the extra time to deal with selling them or finding a place to take them.So they do not sound like something for it.We are space challenged right now but do want to put something in their that will only take the normal time to deal with.We have had Bettas before but getting them from local pet shops has proved to be a bad idea.Our best shop here in town closed.Capital Aquarium was around for 50 yrs but closed.

Any other suggestions on what to try for it.It just may come down to me calling it quits.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.27(Sat)1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try the Sacramento Aquarium Society?

Someone may have Heterandria formosa or another small killifish or may have healthy Bettas.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.05(Wed)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many months of thinking it over,I decided to get Red Cherry Shrimps.I had been looking for a couple months locally for them.Finally I found a place that had them and got 4 for the tank.I am not sure if they are all one sex or what.If they breed,they breed.In my search I may have found some shops that may want some.

I got them Tuesday and they are doing what they do.

Thanks Again.
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.23(Sun)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 4 of them now only have one.I did notice that onr real little one got stuck on the filter tube.He was the only dead one I found.That was about two days after I got them.Now one is left and I have not found any trace of the missing two.It has been strange.You see three one day,two days later you see only two.You see the two for a few days and now only one.I have done 10 day 1/4 water changes.There in nothing else in the tank with them.

Are they that quick to eat each other or what.Now only one roams the tank and I had a hell of a time finding them here in Sacramento.If this one goes then I think the tank goes and I am done.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: