Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Changing tank for sick Beta
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
luke2214
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.11(Thu)13:52    Post subject: Changing tank for sick Beta Reply with quote

I have a halfmoon double tail plaket beta who has ich. He is in a one gallon beta tank at the moment. I was planning on switching him to a ten gallon heated aquarium so I can raise the temperature. I wanted to get sand for the bottum. can I get sand at hardware stores that are safe. Will the different substrate help prevent diseases? What kind of live plants should I get? Will switching tanks cure the ich? thanks.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.08.12(Fri)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on moving him to a bigger tank as you try to raise the temperature. It will be easier to keep an eye on the temp and bring it up slowly with 10 gallons of water versus one.

Are you just using the 10 gallon as a quarantine or hospital tank, or will this be a permanent move? If it's just for the ich cure then you don't need to worry about substrate or plants. People often leave hospital tanks bare so that it's easier to do water changes.

Good luck.
luke2214
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.12(Fri)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a hospital tank right now but when the ick goes away I was going to make him a permenant home. I raised the temp to 86 and let him get used to the water. When I woke up this morning, he was on my floor. He has never jumped before, is this cause of the heat? After I put him back in the tank he swam around until now. He is now swimming upside down and sidways. It looks as if hes trying to swim correctly but he can't. Does this have somthing to do with the ich, heat, or jumping out of the tank? Thanks
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.08.12(Fri)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quickly or slowly did you raise the temperature? Was the hospital tank already cycled? Often fish will jump due to water conditions so if it were too hot or not cycled those might be reasons.

Keep an eye on him and the tank temp to make sure it's consistent. Also, dimming the lights sometimes helps with lowering stress. Post back and let us know how he's doing once he's had a chance to settle in.
luke2214
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.15(Mon)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tank was already cycled and the heater had been set at 86 for 3 days before putting him in. I also let him get used to the water before putting him in. I did hear that the odd swimming pattern could be from shock. I believe he jumped because the water temp was to warm because all the water parameters were normal. Saddly he died about 24 hours after the jump Sad . Thanks for the advice though
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.08.15(Mon)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear he did not pull through.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: